Thread: 1991 Ford Ranger Offroad truck.

Default 1991 Ford Ranger Offroad truck.

1991 FORD Ranger SBF 363 Dart, AFR Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, MSD Ignition. Truck runs great, but I had a couple questions. Never had the engine dynoed. Chassis Dyno was done 305 HP at 6,300 RPM. Any thoughts on what engine makes. That was at 5,300 feet, TH400 stock gearset, 37” tire on 17” wheels, Coan converter. Can’t remember total timing we ended with, but tuned it for a while and that’s the best she would do.

Your chassis dyno operator can tell you this. If not, Google some calculators for it. What was the WOT ignition timing?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Which differential gears?
    Regards, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Your chassis dyno operator can tell you this. If not, Google some calculators for it. What was the WOT ignition timing?
    I think I have a good idea of the elevation correction, that's easy. As far as driveline, there is a million different things and 99% is not even close to my vehicle. It’s a factory vehicle with an automatic. I don’t think that’s a good representation of my drivetrain loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
    Which differential gears?
    1:1 final drive and 5.67 gear.

I usually count on at lest a 20% loss with an automatic transmission. So a safe guess would be put you at about 380 HP. I'm not sure what the elevation would cost you.

Quote Originally Posted by EOR1448 View Post
    I think I have a good idea of the elevation correction, that's easy. As far as driveline, there is a million different things and 99% is not even close to my vehicle. It’s a factory vehicle with an automatic. I don’t think that’s a good representation of my drivetrain loss.
    1:1 final drive and 5.67 gear.
    Are you quite certain about 5.67 as the differential ratio? I would expect more out of that engine measured at the tires with those gears. 305 with 4.11s I could understand. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Yes, since I built the rear end and the entire truck, I’m positive! That’s why I'm asking. I expected a bigger number myself! So wondering if I'm experiencing a ton of drivetrain loss and just need to be happy or I need to consider something with the engine.
    Camshaft: 110 lobe, 242/252, 300/310, .560"/.576", 3,000-6,800 RPM

With that camshaft & heads, I'd expect 500 at the flywheel, so either you have a massive driveline loss, or the tuning is not optimized. Peaking at 6300 is not a baby engine by any means. I'd be running again on a dyno at sea level, and monitor AFR and the ignition timing for best mean torque across the usable RPM band. Gary
    Regards, Gary