Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help. RPM Stall on new install. System Log attached.

Default Need Help. RPM Stall on new install. System Log attached.

Danny and fellow Holley Enthusiasts. I have a stock 5.3L LSx 24x with an HP Terminator LS TBI Kit, I just installed. I do not have the handheld, so I have to configure through the laptop. I have setup two other systems, but both were MPFI using the LS intake and throttle body. I like to think I'm familiar with systems, but the TBI is kicking my tail.

I've been unable to start this current build. I get an RPM Stall. I've replaced the crankshaft and cam sensors. From the System Log, it looks like I'm getting signals from both sensors, but I am still showing an RPM Stall and the injectors and coils are not firing. I've done the TPS Autoset and in fact, used it to trigger the log. I have tried to just use the crank sensor in Ignition Parameters and going through the custom configuration. I've used this in the past when I have had a camshaft issue and used batch fire to troubleshoot. I've been through the forums, stickies, quick start guide and used the installation manual as a checklist. I've verified all my grounds, voltages and connections with a multimeter. The attached system log was logged trying to start.

Can you check out my GCF and my system log and see if you see anything glaring? Thanks. Ryan
    System Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2os6cyuk6...010005.SL?dl=0
    GCF (.HEFI): https://www.dropbox.com/s/o43g5t7umn...Test.hefi?dl=0
    Last edited by RLMeskimen; 12-24-2018 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RLMeskimen View Post
    I've been unable to start this current build. I get an RPM Stall. I've replaced the crankshaft and cam sensors. From the System Log, it looks like I'm getting signals from both sensors, but I am still showing an RPM Stall and the injectors and coils are not firing.
    RPM Stall is the problem. The engine won't start/run without an RPM signal. Since RPM is derived from the crank sensor, I'd investigate that first. It seems the ECU is receiving a crank signal, but doesn't like something about it. Maybe it's happening at the wrong time (LINK) or the engine isn't cranking fast enough (LINK).
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...558#post106558 (Related Forum Post)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK. I'll go over grounds again. I've verified my pin-outs on the harness as received from Holley and all is well. I have proper voltage at the harness with the key-on and they are on the correct A & C pins.
    Any chance I have some settings jacked up in Ignition Parameters? Is there a way to do a sync or something? I'm at a bit of a loss, as I am receiving the crank signal and it looks like the correct wave.

Quote Originally Posted by RLMeskimen View Post
    Any chance I have some settings jacked up in Ignition Parameters?
    You're Global File is programmed for "GM LSx 24 Tooth" (1x cam sensor).
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

From your system log, it looks like you are using "24 Tooth" (4x cam sensor). If this is not correct you will need to go into Ignition Type and change it to "Custom" and use the correct settings.

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    From your system log, it looks like you are using "24 Tooth" (4x cam sensor).
    Thanks. I will check it out. I've tried it in batch fire with no cam sensor and no joy. I'll pursue the Custom Ignition Parameters with 24x/1x and see if that will give me an RPM signal.

I'm damned and determined not to buy the handheld just to get a base tune. I've done this twice and once was on my twin turbo Malibu, so I feel like I know what I'm doing...somewhat. But at some point I will have more money in troubleshooting (I pay myself $10 an hour in my make vs buy decisions!) than I would have spent just buying the handheld! You guys rock. Will post resolution once I figure it out.

The 3.5" TSLCD is completely unnecessary. The Holley EFI laptop software can do everything. Also, yes, the predefined "GM LSx 24 Tooth" drop down selection assumes a 1x cam sensor.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...6726#post56726 (Related Forum Post)

Definitely a 24x/1x setup. I uploaded a known good config from my Malibu. Same result. Receiving a crank and cam signal that looks right, but shows RPM Stall. But again, I'm not sure how to read the system log for timing. I will post a system log in a bit. I unplugged the coil harness thinking it may be causing a negative backfeed, but still showing STALL while cranking.

Each coil is grounded to each respective cylinder head. Battery grounded to left cylinder head. Main power harness directly to battery, both 12V & ground. Verified 12V to red/white wire while ignition on and while cranking. Still brainstorming!

I'm out of ideas for a while. I don't understand how I can have a crank and a cam sensor signal and still have an RPM stall. Attached is the most recent SL. If anyone sees anything glaring that I may be able to check out, please let me know. Rechecked all wiring. Nothing jumping out. It's pretty easy and basic as I have it on a run stand. Same setup I have used on my other two LS engines that I have ran.

Hope all have a great Christmas.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/byor3idn7v...240804.SL?dl=0 Ryan
    Last edited by RLMeskimen; 12-24-2018 at 05:09 PM.

It looks like you were cranking for about 6 seconds. In this 6 seconds it sees 9 cam signals. That would mean the engine rotated 18 times and you should see 18x24=432 crank signals. But we only see about 19 crank signals. You are not seeing the proper number of crank signals. The ECU is seeing the cam go around 9 times and only sees the crank go around once because it only sees 19 crank signals. So in reality it is only seeing one crank signal per revolution of the crank not the 24 it should see. No wonder it won't sync up and show a RPM signal. Did you damage the reluctor wheel on the crank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast