Holley Blue fuel pump getting very warm!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bubbles1967
    • Jul 2018

Holley Blue fuel pump getting very warm!

Morning. I'm using a Holley blue 12-802-1 fuel pump and the upper portion of the pump gets quite warm after the car has run. It’s warm enough that it not possible to leave your hand there for any length of time. Is this normal? If not, is there a remedy? I've mounted and wired the pump as per figure 5 in the instruction sheet. I'm using 12-gauge wire via a relay and oil pressure safety switch. The pump is set lower than the fuel tank outlet and the pump receives 14.54 volts at idle and draws approximately 3.7 amps. The alternator is the original style with external regulator and at idle the outlet is 14.75 volts. In addition I have an inline 100 micron fuel filter with a 30 micron filter just before the pressure regulator. Should I be using 10-gauge wire as I have read in other forums threads here? Thank you in advance for your time.
  • Gaz64
    • Jan 2010

Is this a new pump? They can run a little warm when new, since the brushes and commutator are running in.
    3.7 amps is OK. Your wire size is OK, minimum is 14 gauge. Wire size won't make the pump run cooler or warm.
    Small wire becomes a resistor as it warm up. 3.7 amps at 14.5V is equivalent to a 55 watt low beam bulb.
    The pumps do run warm, since they are a vane positive displacement pump. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Comment

• Bubbles1967
      • Jul 2018

Hello Gary. Thanks for the reply. Pump is new and car has only done 170 miles. Putting it in terms of a 55 watt low beam bulb makes sense. I doubt I could hold onto a 55 watt bulb after it has been on for a while. Paul

Comment

• Gaz64
        • Jan 2010

Hi Paul. I would run it short periods until more confidence sets in. They all do run with a bit of warmth. The pump is internally regulated at 14 psi. The pumps can run more warm if run into dead headed regulator versus a return regulator. I prefer return style regulators myself. Gary
        Regards, Gary

Comment

Working...
        X