Thread: 460 big block Ford, C6 transmission, tuning suggestions.

Default 460 big block Ford, C6 transmission, tuning suggestions.

Hey guys, just thought I'd hop on here and see what kind of tuning suggestions you guys have for a big block with a mild split duration cam and Edelbrock performer intake. Truck runs great up through around 60% throttle, but above that it doesn't pull as hard and I can't tell if it's a timing issue, too much fuel, too little fuel, or what, so I thought I'd post on here and get some input. My timing light quit on me the other day so I can't tell you exactly what it's set at, but I believe I'm running around 12-15 degrees initial, with 32ish degrees total advance on a new MSD ready to run distributor.

Here's my Atomic EFI settings, which is where I was really looking for input. Please let me know what you think.

Initial settings:
    Cubic Inches: 460
    # of Cylinders: 8
    Camshaft type: mild (218 int/226 exh with advertised duration of 262 int/270 exh; CL34-235-4 is the Comp Cams part number)
    Fuel pump type: PWM with regulator (this is running a return line BTW and pressure reads between 32-36PSI at all times, even at WOT)
    Air Pump equipped: No
    Idle RPM Target: 700
    Rev Limit: 6250
    Timing Control: Disabled

Advanced Settings:
    Pump Squirt: 25%
    Power Valve Enrich: 30%
    Idle AFR: 14.8
    Cruise AFR: 14.4
    WOT AFR: 14.2

One thing I did notice is that a lot of people have recommended in the threads to adjust throttle blades, which have not been touched since initial setup. IAC reads 42-46 CNT @ 188F while in Park, but I read that you're supposed to adjust with the truck in gear while someone holds the brake; when I put the truck in gear and hold the brake while at hot idle, the IAC just keeps rising; it never causes any issues and runs pretty well, so I don't know if it's an issue, but the count increases by a few every few seconds up past 85CNT. I don't know exactly what number it will finally settle on, but I've watched it for 2 or 3 minutes straight and it just kept increasing.
    Thanks in advance for your input!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but I'm at elevation (almost all of my travel is between 4000' and 5300'). I also upgraded to the 1.2.14 ECU firmware about a week ago, but have only put 10-15 miles on since the upgrade.
    Last edited by geissingerj; 12-03-2018 at 01:20 PM.

What spring and bushing combination do you have in the distributor currently? The factory installed spring set is a very slow advance.

Ideally the IAC counts should be low enough at idle (in gear) to give the IAC room to save the engine from stalling, either at start up or on a sudden stop.
    The instructions indicate a starting point between 5-15, more is ok as long as the system is able to save the engine from stalling.
    MSD Tech Support
    915-855-7123

Thanks for the response, I'm using a light silver and light blue spring with a silver bushing. Truck runs great at the moment except the mileage isn't that great (9.5 city - 11.5ish mpg hwy) and the WOT decrease in power that I mentioned before. The engine doesn't stall at start up or sudden stop once it's at operating temp, but when it's cold it will occasionally stumble and die for the first three to five minutes whether at idle, or in gear. Once ECT reaches about 110F it's usually fine though. Should I adjust the IAC? Would that have any impact on mileage?

Once at operating temp (185°F) if I shut the engine off and re-start it, the IAC will stay at 42-46, but if I put it in gear it will continue to rise until it's maxed out at 175. If I then shift back to park, IAC falls to 0 and will remain there until I put it in gear again. Is this normal behavior?
    Last edited by geissingerj; 12-06-2018 at 11:05 PM.

FYI, I adjusted the throttle blades this weekend so IAC now reads between 23-26 CNT at hot idle in gear. I then reset all settings, reprogrammed, and it seems to have a bit more power/throttle response. I'll be taking it on a 250 ish mile trip this afternoon, so we'll see what the mileage is like.

Settings have changed a bit from above, this is where things are sitting right now:

Initial settings:
    Cubic Inches: 460
    # of Cylinders: 8
    Camshaft type: mild (218 int/226 exh with advertised duration of 262 int/270 exh; CL34-235-4 is the Comp Cams part number)
    Fuel pump type: PWM with regulator (this is running a return line BTW and pressure reads between 32-36PSI at all times, even at WOT)
    Air Pump equipped: No
    Idle RPM Target: 700
    Rev Limit: 6250
    Timing Control: Disabled

Advanced Settings:
    Pump Squirt: 25%
    Power Valve Enrich: 22%
    Idle AFR: 14.8
    Cruise AFR: 14.8
    WOT AFR: 14.2

Thank you for the update.
    Please let us know how the trip went.