Thread: New HP EFI engine, not starting, no spark.

Default New HP EFI engine, not starting, no spark.

Hello I'm a first time HP-EFI user and having a no start as result of no spark. I have already verified a lot so believe I am likely missing something in my calibration. I'll start with the application details and follow with the calibration, log files, and checks I have made. hopefully someone will see the error of my ways...

Marine, Berkeley jet application
    - Twin turbo with internal waste gate, not boost controlled by ECU
    - Draw-through throttle body feeding the compressor inlets
    - Compressor outlets to aftercooler (water to air) mounted on 4 barrel intake
    - Water jacketed exhaust manifolds, custom turbo adapters including WBO2 ports, water cooled exhaust elbows, exiting through transom tips with removable mufflers

Crate motor: LSx 376 B15
    GM sensors included on crate motor:
    - Crank – 58 pulse
    - Cam – 4 pulse
    - Knock – 2 wire, 2 sensors
    - CTS – 2 wire
    - OPS – 2wire
    Plugs: AC Delco 12621258 included with crate motor
    Control system: HP EFI H550-607N
    Coils: MSD82648 LS truck coil
    Plug wires: MSD LS custom
    Throttle body: Holley EFI P/N 112-587, 4-barrel style
    Per the datasheet:
    - IAC – Chrysler style
    - MAT – GM Style
    - TPS – typical 0-5V
    Other sensor & gauges:
    - Holley MAP 0-3.5bar 510-554-134
    - Holley fuel pressure 0-1bar 510-554-102
    - Tach driven by ECU, blue w/ white wire
    - Speedo, GPS
    - Loose sensors driving analog gauges: oil, temp, fuel level
    - Boost: mechanical gauge
    - Volt gauge connected to key on
    Intake: Holley P/N 300-136
    Injectors: Bosch EV6
    Fuel system:
    - Primary water separating filter upstream of the fuel pump
    - Fuel pump: Earl’s 1200890ERL
    - Regulator: Earl’s 12846ERL, with intake reference
    - Filter: Earl’s 162-554

Wiring details:
    Main harness: 271R962A
    - A few modifications made to relocate connectors
    o Mostly removing the looming, repositioning the connectors, looming and taping
    o A few wires were cut in the process and reassembled with solder and heat shrink
    Power harness is connected directly to the battery positive and negative
    - Positive is fused at the battery
    Loose leads:
    - 12V Switched (red/w) - is powered by a dedicated relay
    o The key switch is low current and drives a few relays and dash lights, one of the relays being the switched power to ECU
    - Relay Ground (black) - is connected to a ground buss – bus is wired directly to the battery with ~24” # 10 wire
    - 12V Battery (red) - is connected to a bus which also provides power to the fuel pump, the bus is wired to the battery with ~24” #10 wire
    - 12V Fuel Pump (green) - drives a fuel pump relay
    - Tachometer (blue/w) – connects to tach
    Starter connections:
    - Engine ground is ~ 12” 2/0
    - Starter positive is ~ 36” 2/0
    A separate harness provides connections for the analog gauges, starter crank signal, and aftercooler pump

Guess I need to figure how to upload the Cal and log files.

Here is what I have checked so far. since all sensors are giving reasonable values and I see cam and crank signals in the system log I have been focusing on the wiring.
    Here is what I have tried. I have reset the TPS as required and verified that I get a valid TPS signal.

Disconnected the battery for over 30 min with my desired cal (LSx ignition) – No spark
    Reflashed the Version 5 firmware
    Tried desired cal – No spark
    Tried cal with custom ignition without knock and cam sensors – three variant (EST 5V, DIS waste-fire, DIS Coil-On-Plug) – No spark

I checked the system log:
    - Speed, crank, cam all look good
    o Speed may look a bit odd as # 8 plug is out.
    - The only thing fishy is the EST Spout is staying at zero
    o the tach is coming off zero but looks low, however hard to tell as only 200 RPM/div scale
    Here are the interesting voltages:
    Battery AGM:
    - 12.2V Key-off
    - 12.0V Key-on fuel pump running
    - 12.1V Key-on fuel pump off
    - 10.8V Cranking
    The switched power (red/white)
    - 0V Key-off
    - 12.0V Key-on fuel pump running
    - 10.6V Cranking
    Injector/coil/FP relay (red) - this is connected to a bus which also powers the fuel pump
    - 12.2V Key-off
    - 11.8V Key-on fuel pump running
    - 10.6V Cranking
    - I also dedicated a wire directly to the battery and still no start
    The fuel pump (green)
    - 11.7V Key-on fuel pump running
    - 0V Key-on fuel pump off
    - 10.5V Cranking

Holley checked out the ECU and did not find any issues. I checked (Ohms tested) the P1B to: injector, IAC, and odd & even coil connectors - all connections are per the wiring diagram. I ran dedicated 10 AWG ground wires from my block ground connection to the coil harness connections on the heads. The block ground has a short 2/O connection directly to the battery negative. Any help how to upload the cal file and log files?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutphen View Post
    Any help how to upload the cal file and log files?
    Read first paragraph: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires