Thread: How does the smartwire handle large inrush currents?

Default How does the smartwire handle large inrush currents?

How does this unit handle the inrush current spike of lets say an electric fan. Ive found that most fans will draw between 12-18a running, but the inrush current spike at turn-on I've seen up to 70a (for maybe 8ms). Can the smartwire circuitry handle that type of current momentarily? If not, am I able to program a PWM output for maybe 2-3 seconds to get the fan up to speed while limiting the amount of current then just supply constant voltage? Will it trigger a "blown fuse" alert immediately?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Jason

Default Re: How does the smartwire handle large inrush currents?

From the manual:
    'the output current can exceed the current fuse limitation for short periods of time (typically <4 seconds). Should the current exceed the fuse setting for extended periods (i.e. more than 5-10 seconds) the output will be deactivated'

The max capacity of the Smartwire is 125 amps, hopefully Racepak will respond, but I guess as as long as the max load is not simultaneously exceeded then it should be OK...

What you could do is parallel 2 x 20amp channels together (if you have them spare) this will give some headroom on the fan. Whilst defeating the purpose a bit you could run a relay to the fan(s) and have the smartwire trigger the relay.

Alternatively can your ECU be used to control the fans?