I have an IQ3 Dash and an MSD Power Grid destined for my friend's car. But first, I want to get it working on the table at my place. I'm wondering now if I have everything necessary. I currently have these two connected to one another via the VNET, with a cable from the IQ3 Dash, a T that goes out to the MSD, and a terminator. This should be correct wiring.

Here's my specific question and problem. I run DataLinkII and open a car configuration IQ3_Config_Street. Then I do Edit / Read VNET Config (all channels). The software complains that many pre-established channels are missing, and then doesn't add any for the MSD. I end up with no channels showing in the main area, only a box with "IQ3 Display" in it. There were originally channels listed under there.

It seems like the IQ3 did not receive channel info from the MSD over VNET, which is what I thought would happen.

Also, the first few times I tried this, I answered "no" about removing the not-found channels. Then once I said "yes". Now the channels are gone and I don't know how to get them back. Nevertheless, I am NOT thinking this is actually the problem. I'm thinking that the IQ3 and MSD are *not* communicating.

So I tried the Read Venet Config (all channels) again. Now that the original channels are gone, when I do this I no longer get the missing warnings, and then get a "success" message in the detail display, for communicating with 1 device. But I still don't suddenly see channels found on the main display. Next, I power off, remove the T to the MSD (keeping the terminator). I run again and get the exact same "success". So this is why I believe the IQ3 is not communicating, perhaps not even trying to communicate, with the MSD.

What am I doing or understanding incorrectly?

My hope is to get the IQ3 to display the 0 rpm at the moment (remember, it's on a table, not a car) as well as, say, battery voltage coming from the MSD. (To be certain, I can supply slightly different voltages to the IQ3 and the MSD, to make sure what I'm seeing is coming from the MSD and not the IQ3.)

Thanks in advance for your help.