Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IQ3 MX5/Miata/Haltech PS1000

Default IQ3 MX5/Miata/Haltech PS1000

A while ago I installed an IQ3 display dash into my MX5/Miata.

To simply the idiot lights I have decided to keep the dash and gut it as I can then keep it plug and play.

Donor dash (887g)
    DSCN2101 on Flickr

Donor dash with internals removed (422g)
    DSCN2099 on Flickr

Donor dash all plastic removed from the inside
    DSCN2104 on Flickr

Plastic removed (337g)
    DSCN2103 on Flickr

IQ3 on donor dash (786g)
    DSCN2107 on Flickr

This was the first test fitting to decide how far to recess the IQ3. Since I'm sticking with the donor dash I need to be able to run the cables to the dash so it may not be able to go back much further.
    DSCN2108 on Flickr

However I ended up purchasing the IQ3 Plastic Mount panel , simpler than making my own plate.

Mounting the IQ3 on to a stock NA6 dash

Holes drilled for the stock dash
    IMG_0842[1], on Flickr

Hole cut out on the stock dash to allow cables for dash
    IMG_0843[1], on Flickr

Point of no return...
    IMG_0844[1], on Flickr

After cutting and filing
    IMG_0845[1], on Flickr

Dash and idiot lights mounted
    IMG_0846[1], on Flickr

Back of the dash
    IMG_0848[1], on Flickr

These are what I used for the idiot lights
    DSCN2109 on Flickr

To get the idiot lights wired in I went to Jay Car...
    IMG_0853[1] on Flickr

Crimped the idiot light wires on to the Jay Car pins, inserted pins into bulb holder
    IMG_0852[1] on Flickr

A bit of plastic cable tie fitted in nicely, this makes sure the wires don't touch as well as makes them snug!
    IMG_0858[1] on Flickr

Heat shrink to hold it all in place
    IMG_0859[1] on Flickr

Finished ready to plug in.
    IMG_0857[1] on Flickr

For the larger bulb holders I used the next size pins, the rest was the same.

For the speed I used a Terratrip sensor to generate a pulse signal that goes into the PS1000 for speed, it simply sandwiches between the gearbox sensor and its wiring connector.

For fuel I used the Iron Canyon Motorsport black box that converts the ohm signal from the fuel sender to a 5 volt signal. This signal then goes the Haltech and magically appears on the IQ3 ... Iron Canyon Motorsports (http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/icm-fuel-sender/) were very helpful and responsive as the online quote for freight was over $200. A quick email to them and the freight is only $40!

Finally put the buttons to use on the steering wheel. A 3 pin plug is used in case the steering wheel needs to be taken off.
    DSCN2363 by Eipeip, on Flickr

DSCN2361 by Eipeip, on Flickr

The IQ3 installed, wired in and partially configured. The odometer will not go up to 200,000 so I left the 2 off.
    DSCN2364 by Eipeip, on Flickr

And it is confirmed the Innovate stuff is reading safety first (water 44 haltech Innovate 52, oil press 51 haltech innovate 44)
    DSCN2364 by Eipeip, on Flickr

Speed, Tip Meter, Odometer all working! The speed is only 1 kmh diff with the GPS speed, so looking good.
    DSCN2369 by Eipeip, on Flickr

The final product
    DSCN2371 by Eipeip, on Flickr

This is a log of the fuel sender (black is speed and green is fuel level):
    Home to Burpengary about 80 kms.
    Fuel_01 by Eipeip, on Flickr

Burpengary to home
    Fuel_02 by Eipeip, on Flickr

As stated I have now swapped the display dash over to a logging dash and removed all the Innovate data logging stuff as it was turning into a wiring nightmare as well as having to run duplicate sensors. The logging dash is not using GPS speed rather the speed comes from the PS1000, the car is road registered and GPS does not work in tunnels etc. The logging dash is a little more complicated to set up plus I'm now having to learn a new software package. One thing I did like about Innovate was its Logworks software, however it appears that the Racelogic software should be OK. The biggest plus is having GPS recorded this is what the Innovate lacked.

I still need to purchase a few Racelogic USM's to bring over the suspension sensors and the tyre temp sensors, but this is not a priority.

This is the MX5 that it is installed into. The car is naturally aspirated making 182 RWHP out of 1.9 ltrs
    Cootha Classic by Eipeip, on Flickr

This is the car at a recent track day running Yokahama AD08's
    https://youtu.be/dF5iEFvx-w0

Default Re: IQ3 MX5/Miata/Haltech PS1000

Great write up thanks for sharing

Been a while since updating, but the car has been 'improved' since this post.

The display dash has been replaced with an IQ3 logging dash and all the Innovate data logging/sensors have been removed. The senors are now all routed through the Haltech PS1000. The reason why running the sensors through the ECU is that I can use the ECU for engine protection management.

1. 4 x EGT's using the Haltech TC4[/*:m:379r62wm]
    2. AFR[/*:m:379r62wm]
    3. Oil temp[/*:m:379r62wm]
    4. Water temp[/*:m:379r62wm]
    5. Oil pressure[/*:m:379r62wm]
    6. Fuel pressure[/*:m:379r62wm]
    7. Front/Rear brake pressures[/*:m:379r62wm]
    8. TPS[/*:m:379r62wm]
    9. Gearbox speed[/*:m:379r62wm]
    10. Fuel composition sensor[/*:m:379r62wm]

The Haltech 'stuff' now sits under the passenger seat
    DSCN3846 by Eipeip, on Flickr

So I can either put a cover over the ECU or the passenger seat
    DSCN3899 by Eipeip, on Flickr

Due to the nature of the PS1000, it has pre named sensors for specific purposes, it was not possible to simply hook up all the sensors. The front brake sensor uses the coolant pressure channel, however there were no more 'pressure' sensor spot left.

For the rear I had to use a temp input then 'trick' the software by using a custom calibration. But again the Haltech has a limitation wherein for a temp sensor it will not let you use 2,000 (max pressure of the sensor) or even 200°c. So at the moment it is set at 0.5v = 0 and 4.5v = 20 in the ECU then for the dash/Datalink II the 20 is translated into 20,000. Not a perfect solution and gives the data from the rear a boxy look but it is sufficent for the moment. In the future a few USM's will be installed and this will fix the issue.

The reason that the rear pressure became a 'must' have is that I have deleted the brake booster and gone to a customised brake pedal setup with twin masters (different sizes) and a balance bar.

The mauve line is the rear and the light blue is the front brake pressures.
    Brake_02 by Eipeip, on Flickr

As a result of the removal of the Innovate 'stuff' I had to learn to use Datalink II. No secret that I was NOT a fan of this software, HOWEVER thanks to Dasing and Cameron I have CHANGED my opinion. With customisation the Datalink II is actually very useful and is an essential part of myself improving as a driver. My only complaint is that it would be good to allow maths channels to be displayed on the IQ3, for example brake balance as a %

Future plans:
    1. Install 2 x USM's so that the suspension travel can be measured as well as the rear brake pressure and tyre surface temps. I have rear data but this is logged to the VBox Lite camera.[/*:m:379r62wm]
    2. Compete at World Time Attack again in 2017. It is a big ask to compete as the only naturally aspirated car under 2.0 ltrs running on 205/50/15 tyres. However, it is a fantastic event to attend and the camaraderie in the pits between the competitors is something to be experienced.[/*:m:379r62wm]
    3. Get more seat time[/*:m:379r62wm]
    4. Complete rewire using something like the Smartwire system. This will reduce weight and simplify the car[/*:m:379r62wm]
    5. Add lightness[/*:m:379r62wm]
    6. Learn to write customised pages for DataLink II[/*:m:379r62wm]

Engine
    DSCN3932 by Eipeip, on Flickr

Dash (1 display is for tyre temps, the other is a rear view camera)
    DSCN3909 by Eipeip, on Flickr

The car (194 RWHP, E85, 990 kg, 6 speed, 4.3 clutch pack rear diff)
    DSCN3938 by Eipeip, on Flickr

Starting to get the hang of the Datalink software. Had a small loss of power at a recent track day and thanks to the data collected it could be tracked down to a loss of fuel pressure.

The loss was not correlated to either, combined G, RPM or fuel level. Decision has been made to install a new pump, sock and filter.

Also took the opportunity to add a custom page to my 'Car Health' tab for Fuel Pressure. A quick review of this section shows the health of the engine

Car Health by Eipeip, on Flickr

Wow. You did a really nice job on the install of your dash. It looks terrific.

Again thanks, it did look like this in December, but I have since moved the Racelogic display
    DSCN3887 by Eipeip, on Flickr

DSCN3834 by Eipeip, on Flickr

Dash was pulled out so a custom pedal box could be installed that saw the brake booster deleted
    DSCN3821 by Eipeip, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by magpie
    Again thanks, it did look like this in December, but I have since moved the Racelogic display
    Very nice. I only have the G2X dash and it is located at the top of the center console, where the radio used to be, in my car. It would be nicer to have it higher but that's where I have it now. I really only use it for the predictive lap timing and lap times. It doesn't have the ability to all the alarms that your IQ3 has.

A fantastic development has happened for the designer of my new wing...

https://youtu.be/-VqQ0I349ns

This is the initial testing results for the wing. Less drag with more downforce

2018 is all about less weight, less drag with no change in power! First hit out with the car is this weekend, this will be the baseline for evaluating the changes as they are done. The planned changes should see about 20kgs removed from the car as drag further reduced.

2017 turned out to be a good year as well:

Made Team Racepak for 2108, look for more posts about data
    https://www.facebook.com/Racepakdata...2387115491361/

congratulations mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast