Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feature request thread

Default Re: Feature request thread

Hi Todd, great to see some action on w wish list.

One thing on my wish list is more like a new piece of hardware than a software change so it might be a non starter. Unless it is in the works already.

The shift lights on the display are bright but on a sedan based car can get lost in the noise so to speak as they tend to be well below your line of sight. A Vnet based shift light module (Complete with LEDs) which fully replicated the inbuilt shift lights would be great as it would allow the lights to be moved to the top of the dash. By my understanding I could do a similar thing with the existing shift light module but I then have to buy or construct my own light housing and I do not believe I can program different shift points gear by gear as I can on the dash.

My only other shift light gripe is more of a tech question, I have found that the lights tend to flicker and flash as revs rise and the higher RPM lights begin to light up, with the dash not in direct line of sight it can be hard to pick the difference between the second last set flickering or the entire set flashing at the shift point. The other driver in my car tends to use the rev limiter to determine the shift point instead! I suppose that could be worded as a wishlist question. Could more hysteresis be dialed into the shift light activation points? User specified hysteresis if possible. Logging says that the engine RPM input (From an E11 Haltech via Haltech CAN to a Haltech IQ3) is stable and doing the right thing so it does not seem to be a dirty data issue.

Quote Originally Posted by todd@racepak

.... Our newest data loggers, the Pro III, Pro IIIA and V500SD all use a direct USB connection ( they also have an available Bluetooth wireless option as well :geek: ). When we redesign the dash, we will certainly look at updating the communication cable interface. The IQ3 is 7 years old, after all.....
    Don't drag your feet, the opposition is moving the game along.

Not that I will be upgrading, these days my pockets are deep and my arms are short ...

:mrgreen:
    IQ3 logger, Haltech PS1000, USM - for now!

To add another feature request as per a post in a different thread.

I would guess this would come down to new hardware as I am guessing it is a processing power limitation, but the ability to display math channel derived readings on the dash would be handy. My example would be "Real" fuel pressure derived from the absolute or gauge fuel pressure minus the manifold absolute or gauge pressure. A very handy reading to have available for quick "continue/retire the car" decisions if the driver thinks something is up.

Currently I have a fuel pressure reading displayed with a manifold pressure reading on one of my pages but on track the last thing I am looking to do is mental gymnastics to work out the effective fuel pressure in KPA, I have never managed to convince my IQ3 to display manifold pressure from my Haltech in PSI. I think that the calculation must overflow a memory space used for it as in the Datalink software I can input a calibration value that should convert KPA to PSI and get the right reading from logged data, but if I put the same into the dash config the displayed reading goes bananas.

Perhaps consider that a second development/feature request. If possible, see where the calculation to convert KPA to PSI goes astray in the dash and fix it? If I input calibration values of 0=0, 10=0.145 (the Haltech appears to output the manifold pressure in millipascals hence 10=0.145) I get a reading in the hundreds and positive figures when the engine is in vacuum! The reading is very erratic as well so I am guessing it is a memory overflow issue somewhere. I get the same results if I try 0=0, 1=0.0145, the only thing I have not tried (Which I will do if it helps) is move the decimal point a bit further and try 0=0, 100=1.45.

This one is relatively minor but it would be great to get working. I may live in a metricated country and grew up entirely in the metric age however for a quick look on track, PSI produces a much easier number to deal with at a glance.

And one other feature request from me. Unless I have missed something it is not simple to set up a speed input on the USM. I have a hall effect sensor running off the back of the wheel studs on one corner of the car. To display that as KMH, I have it set up as an RPM input, with the pulses per revolution set to 5 to match the number of wheel studs. After that I have a ratio in the calibration table of 0 = 0, 500 = 60 (There are roughly 500 revolutions per kilometer with my tyres, as the input is set to rpm I have it set so that 500 = 60 as it reduces the input that the dash sees as RPM to a KMH equivalent quite effectively)

it is not all that hard to do but it is kind of a roundabout way to do it, it would be much simpler if I could input pulses per KM and have a KMH reading directly calculated from that.

So to get the thread back on track...... things that are still unresolved.

1. Ability to have some kind of averaging filter to only display an average number from X number of readings or average over X number of seconds so items such as fuel level aren't jumping up and down.
    2. There are 4 warning lights which are fine as long as you don't want to setup more than 4 alarms. Can we setup more alarms and just use warning lights 1 and 3 at the same time or 2 and 4 at the same time or 1 and 2 at the same time etc etc to distinguish them from the other alarm lights. In fact, the lights really aren't that important as you can adjust the wording that comes up on the dash to tell you what the issue is. So, more warning configurations.
    3. Ability to use more than 2 channels for warnings. At the moment if I wanted to configure an alarm that says if ECU voltage is below 12V and RPM is above 4000rpm and Oil pressure is X I can't ...... I can only use 2 channels to warn from which isn't great.

Anyone else have any other additions ??

I think all of the above should be fairly easy as it shouldn't require a huge amount of extra code or processing power..........

I'll forward the requests to the engineering staff during the next engineering meeting. No promises, but I will see what I can do. I agree that multiple inputs for warnings is a good idea (we can set up to 10 different conditions on our Pro III warning light module on the Top Fuel data loggers), but sometimes it can make it much more difficult for the average user to program. I have assisted numerous customers with setting up warnings, and many of them have a hard time when it comes to combining different logic conditions.

I will keep you posted.

Sincerely,
    Todd Paton
    todd@racepak.com
    949-709-5555 ext. 1652

Thanks Todd. Maybe a little check box for basic and advanced would be helpful. By default it opens in basic mode and offers only 4 alarms with basic options and then in advanced mode offers more options ?...... covers both things off that way and no real extra coding.

Just have to say a thank you to Racepak for the auto dim feature that they have added....... updated firmware and Datalink yesterday and it works really well........ thanks so much for that.

how does the auto dim feature work?

It's great and simple as I requested........not sure if it was a reaction to my request or already in the pipeline, but basically they have just put a checkbox with the value for "dimmed" and then another dropbox to choose the channel that will trigger the "dimmed" value.

In my case I have a Smartwire so I just chose the tail lights circuit so when the tail lights come on the "dimmed" value is used and when the tail lights are off it will use the normal value.......

If you don't have a smartwire you can choose other values from the IQ3 channels or ECU interface if you have that also.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast