Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feature request thread

Default Feature request thread

Since there's plenty of people out there who are wanting what seem to be simple changes to the IQ3 firmware or Datalink I thought it would be worth just creating our own thread.

Easiest way for us to keep the thread clean and on track is to just copy the previous list and add your own feature and then repost. I'll start

1. Ability to have either longer refresh rates for channels or some kind of averaging filter so items such as fuel level aren't jumping up and down.
    2. Some kind of input to allow dimming of the display brightness when headlights are on. Doing endurance racing is a problem as during the day we need the dash bright to see in sunlight, but during dusk and night time runs it's blinding.

Default Re: Feature request thread

1. Ability to have either longer refresh rates for channels or some kind of averaging filter so items such as fuel level aren't jumping up and down.
    2. Some kind of input to allow dimming of the display brightness when headlights are on. Doing endurance racing is a problem as during the day we need the dash bright to see in sunlight, but during dusk and night time runs it's blinding.
    3. Make Vipec/Link CANBUS interface cable an official product so other users out there can benefit. It seems to work perfectly and it would help Racepak sales... seems like a no brainer.

3. Make Vipec/Link CANBUS interface cable an official product so other users out there can benefit. It seems to work perfectly and it would help Racepak sales... seems like a no brainer.
    4. Make Racepak display dash firmware available in the download section

there is/was a thread for this ...
    IQ3 logger, Haltech PS1000, USM - for now!

5. Switch on the Odometer software on the Display Version of the IQ3 to read off the speed input.

Default Update from the mother ship....

I have some updates on the requests you've submitted. Let me go throught them one by one:

We addressed this by recommending you slow the V-Net update rate to 1 and then maximize the filtering on the channel:
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1774&start=10

The engineering team is adding a new CAN parameter to the next version of DataLink which we hope to release in the next week or two. This will allow you to adjust the backlight intensity using this new CAN parameter either through a USM or separate V-net module which detects the activation of the headlight switch.

It is. We've had the following interfaces available for at least a year now:
    230-VM-EFILINK
    230-VM-EFIVIPEC

I will be adding it to the downloads section of our site this week. I will update this post when it has been completed. Added 4/24/14.

5. Switch on the Odometer software on the Display Version of the IQ3 to read off the speed input.

Our V.P. of Engineering informed me that this has been available since firmware version 14.

Let us know if there's anything else you'd like to see.

Sincerely,
    Todd Paton
    todd@racepak.com
    949-709-5555 ext. 1652

1. Great, I'll give this a go and give feedback to let you know if it has the desired result.
    2. That's perfect. We have a Smartwire so would be great to be able to adjust the brightness based on Smartwire input (which is what I guess will be possible with what you've said)......
    3. Oh OK...... good to know... I thought those codes were for the serial version of the cable not the CANBUS version so if that's for the CANBUS version then that's good news.... there's a few people here on the forum who would love to know so I'll find the thread that was discussing it and post so they know it's now available.
    4. I don't have a display dash but I know other users who have asked where that is.
    5. Thanks

Well I guess as users we can't ask more than that Todd ......... great responses and even better some of the issues are already fixed and others aren't far away......

Thanks very much for following up on this.

Is there some kind of official process we should follow to suggest things we'd like to be investigated as new features ? Like some kind of wish list as I started here ?? I think it would be a really simple useful way for Racepak to understand what users are looking for and also show users that Racepak are making progress by adding features or fixing bugs.....

I have some suggestions for the Datalink software also, so it would be good to have some kind of proper process to follow to suggest changes there also......

Compiling a wish list like this thread is a good way to accomplish things, so that we can submit the list to our engineers and follow up on the requests. You can also email me directly at todd@racepak.com. I routinely submit stuff to the engineering department, often getting thrown out of their office for some of the more "out there" requests.

As far as DataLink requests, we are currently working on a completely new version of the software, and I believe there is another thread somewhere on the forum detailing this. Again, go ahead and email me if you wish or start another thread and I'll try to follow up the same way we did with this thread.

Sincerely,
    Todd Paton
    todd@racepak.com
    949-709-5555 ext. 1652

Hi Todd,
    Thanks for coming onto the forum and answering some of the questions.
    The suggestions for slowing the fuel level reading down appears to do the trick, cool!

I have managed to suss out the Odometer as well, I put a little helper on my Odometer post for those having trouble with the setup.

Could we still get a higher Averaging Filter rate number on all of the Display Page Settings? Fuel Pressure etc does still jump around a lot.

Also, how about a direct Racepak Dash USB programming cable so we don't need to run a USB adaptor? Serial Plugs haven't been on laptops now for about 10years guys!! :lol:

Hi Sub Boy,

Try slowing down the V-Net update rate like we did on the fuel level. Engineering doesn't want to give us any more smoothing in this version of DataLink unfortunately.

I agree on the programming cable. Our newest data loggers, the Pro III, Pro IIIA and V500SD all use a direct USB connection ( they also have an available Bluetooth wireless option as well :geek: ). When we redesign the dash, we will certainly look at updating the communication cable interface. The IQ3 is 7 years old, after all.....

Sincerely,
    Todd Paton
    todd@racepak.com
    949-709-5555 ext. 1652

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast