Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slowing the refresh rate?

Default Re: Slowing the refresh rate?

Are you basically saying you think it would be good to have the option to log at a high rate, but only display at a low rate..... ??

From what I can see at the moment it's all or nothing where if you log at a high rate you have to display on the dash at a high rate, but it would be good if you could separate the two possibly.

If you're not saying that, then I'm not sure I really get what you were saying / asking....

There are two separate settings. The logger sample rate indicates how often we take a sample from the selected input, while the V-Net update rate refers to the frequency that we transmit the information on the V-Net bus. Currently, the lowest value possible for this setting is 1.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Todd Paton
    todd@racepak.com
    949-709-5555 ext. 1652

Provided I am understanding Todd's line of thought correctly, that does make sense as a way to hopefully smooth the displayed values.

Essentially it is sampling the input at a much slower rate (Hopefully helping to avoid the inherent noise of a lever arm resistive fuel sender) and then averaging that for display over as long a period as possible. Instead of faithfully tracking the jumps in the input, it is ignoring as much of it as possible by taking a reading less often, and then averaging that over whatever period the maximum for the dash display is (Which I think is fairly short still) to smooth it further and hopefully provide a more stable display. It is a pity I did not see this a couple of days ago. I disconnected the fuel level input from the USM and changed it to a fuel pressure sensor then fitted a mechanical level gauge. If I had seen this before I did that I could have tweaked the Vnet settings, tried it out at a car club event that I went to yesterday and reported back with logs on what difference it makes.

Regards my own dash issues with the fading segments, my problem is that to send it in for repair I will be without it for an extended period and no dash means no race car. Having just got myself back on the track for the first time this year as my family and home were impacted by bushfires in February (In which I nearly lost the race car) I am not at all keen to send the dash away and not be able to use my main stress relief device (Race car) For the time being I have cleaned the connector with isopropyl alcohol (I am an electronics technician by trade) and have a functioning display again, but it seems to give trouble again after about 9 months so I expect to see it raise its head again later. The elastomeric compound must be oxidising.

Well this works! YAY!!
    On the USM part this works, so if you are running your fuel input like myself (and Fraser) this will smooth it out.

Did you get yours sorted Fraser?

Handy to know given I disconnected the fuel level input to turn it into a fuel pressure input. I don't tend to look at that often as things stand though so I might not worry about it changing rapidly.

On one of my pages I have a boost pressure reading above a fuel pressure reading so if I reckon something is not right I can bring that page up and compare the two on the fly to ensure I don't have a fuel pressure problem. That would bring a feature request to mind! Presumably the IQ3 not being able to display math channels is a processing power limitation, if it's eventual replacement has the grunt it would be great to be able to display a "derived" channel so you could have a fuel pressure and manifold pressure input and derive "Real" fuel pressure from the two for display on the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Boy
    Well this works! YAY!!
    On the USM part this works, so if you are running your fuel input like myself (and Fraser) this will smooth it out.

Did you get yours sorted Fraser?
    Hey Chris, no I didn't get any different results.......... can you post a screen shot of what you did and I'll try those settings..... am at the track today and tomorrow so if you get chance to do it soon that would be great as I can try it.

I have my fuel level running via USM so hopefully I'll get the same results !

I've just had a re-read and I think maybe we're talking at cross purposes kind of............

My issue is not that my fuel level is updating too fast and jumping around too quick as such, but my issue is that there need to be some "averaging" going on, not just reading the sensor less........ If the rate is set too high then of course that will create a separate issue to what I am talking about which is the fuel number going up and down too quickly as it's constantly reading from the sensor and giving slightly different numbers.......... I have slowed my data rate down, but the issue I have is that in a long corner the fuel sensor swings around and you might be in that corner for 2-3 second and in that time the dash refreshes the data, then displays the reading (which is too low) then in the middle of the corner the fuel warning light comes on and you panic.......

I don't want to start getting used to ignoring warning lights mid corner, but also don't want to have to run so much fuel that the sensor never gets too low........

What needs to happen is that you want the sensor to read say once per second, but you need the ability to set something like an averaging filter where it looks at the last 10 readings and displays and average of those last 10 readings on the dash instead of the real sensor value............. does that make sense ???

Maybe the dash does this, but I don't think so......... you're just slowing the data rate down, but the value that shows up is always the raw data value and if timing is right and I'm mid corner when it updates then the warning comes on as mentioned......... it's annoying. It shouldn't be hard to add an averaging option as mentioned........... hopefully........

Racepak........... please

Im a big fan of the custom fuel calibraton feature on the udxsr dash.
    It works faultlessly and doesnt display too quick

Quote Originally Posted by f1racr
    ... What needs to happen is that you want the sensor to read say once per second, but you need the ability to set something like an averaging filter where it looks at the last 10 readings and displays and average of those last 10 readings on the dash instead of the real sensor value............. does that make sense ???

Racepak........... please
    Spot on! This is, to my mind, the best way of handling the fluctuations. We are not talking oil pressure, where up-to-date readings are critical, really it is a once-a-lap data reading (slight exaggeration lol).

:mrgreen:
    IQ3 logger, Haltech PS1000, USM - for now!

I suppose this big question is how the averaging function works. Is it averaging the reading over a time, or over a number of readings. If it is over a time then it may well not function all that effectively for this. If it is over a number of readings then it should be able to smooth the displayed value considerably. It is still likely to move around but at least it would not be at the flicker.

Well to be honest it really doesn't matter if it's over time or over the number of readings really as long as it's adjustable.......

All that needs to happen is some very basic maths calculations in the background........ it's a very simple software change in the firmware and Datalink software.......

If you get it to average every 100 readings for instance and you're logging at 10 times a second then it's basically averaging over 10 seconds....... that's fine as you're not likely to be in a high G corner for 10 seconds.......

If I could choose 10 seconds and it just averaged however many samples it had done in 10 seconds (10 or 1000 doesn't matter) then it'll still help the issue....... the only time it won't be ideal to average over time or the amount of readings will be if the average sample is too small......ie if you average over 3 seconds and I'm in a high G corner for 3 seconds then I'll still get a low fuel level which doesn't help so you just need to make sure the sample time or rate is variable within reason and either will be fine........

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast