Thread: Smartwire on the Fritz?

Default Smartwire on the Fritz?

Racing today on our car with a V300SD connected to a Smartwire (and an IQ3, and a boatload of sensors). We have two 20amp circuits connected to the fuel pump (a big Weldon and they recommend a 30amp circuit). Suddenly, on a setup that has worked fine, the fuel pump started to blow a fuse and cycle on and off a few times (until retry was exhausted). Then quit altogether.

Much tracing later, I discovered that one of the two 20amp circuits was just dead. Not coming on at all. And, in fact, when it was connected to the other one, it caused the second one to blow the fuse. If we just run the one that is working all is fine. Haven't run down the track (rain) but the cycling on/off of the pump is gone with just the one 20amp circuit.

To top it off, now the Smartwire isn't talking on the vnet. Period. Just gives timeout errors. No logging on live telemetry, no recording of values to the V300, no live channel data viewing, not even configuration reading. Just all times out. The rest of the vnet is fine, including the dash, which is past the Smartwire on the net. And the rest of the circuits on the Smartwire are behaving as programmed. But of course I can't redirect the "dead" 20amp circuit to another one, because the Smartwire won't talk.

Yes, I've taken apart the vnet connectors, and they all look good. I've even talked to the Smartwire directly with the USB port and it appears to be alive that way, but of course none of the channels are labelled and the programming is all missing...

This all worked perfectly days ago. But now... Anyone have any advice? Is this Smartwire sick?

Default Re: Smartwire on the Fritz?

And it truly took a dump. Disconnected outputs one by one until no outputs connected, still toggles some blown fuse. On/off, on/off, on/off. Finally it decides to reset, and nothing blows the fuse. Reconnect any random one, it begins the blown fuse again. Disconnect, try another one, still does it. Doesn't seem to matter which output, one randomly starts the process.

Still can't connect with the vnet. So I have no idea what it thinks is wrong. Checking with the USB port directly, shows one of the disconnected outputs off, yet still showing 12.3 volts. All others off as expected.

This thing is sick. Didn't know that could happen with a Smartwire.

When you say you 'disconnected outputs one by one until no outputs connected' then re connect any random one and it blows, are you de-pining those OP's or disconnecting them further down the wiring at the device, for example at the fuel pump?

Are your leaving both A and B connectors plugged into the smartwire? As both connectors has ground wires the smartwire requires to operate, one has two grounds, the other has one.

Stupid questions, but just to rule them out as im sure racepak will ask these, are those 3 ground wires connected to a good ground, and the main power wire is also making a good connection (at both ends)?

Always ran with the connectors in, but tried disconnecting the outputs from their targets, and also removing pins. Dozens of permutations.

And further to your questions, the three ground pins go directly to the battery. The power comes in on a massive cable (I think it's 4ga) directly from the battery with only a stop at the main power switch and a 200amp breaker. All those connections were confirmed tight and working properly several times during the troubleshooting. The power source isn't the problem, because my "hillbilly engineering" to get the car running pulled the power for all the items (fuel pump, fan, water pump, etc.) all came right from the same power location. That power source works.

And even further, this setup has worked just fine until Saturday, when one of the fuel pump 20a outputs started the cascade of failure. Interestingly, if I connect to the SW directly with the USB and look at the "live view", all circuits show off, all circuits show 0.0 current and voltage -- except the one circuit that started this mess. It shows "off" but also 12.3 volts? But there wasn't even a pin connected to this output.

To quote Scotty, "it's dead, Jim".

It does sound sick then, hopefully someone from Racepak will shed some light, altho there help on the forums and even emails seems to have disappeared. :roll:

I would call them, they might have a solution if not might have to post it back to them for a look/repair.

What firmware version is it? 17? Have you tried to update or re install the firmware? If you cant access it via the logger with the vnet, then direct with USB and try to update it, altho if you have 17 already im not sure you can update 17 with 17, not sure if it will re install or just say no.

http://www.racepak.com/downloads/SmartW ... Update.pdf

Its either firmware glitch, hardware in the unit or external connections, sounds like you have ruled out all external connections, you cant fix hardware issues yourself it will have to go back to RP, so firmware ect may be the only other thing to try.

Eitherway if you get it working, or has to be repaired, please let us all know what the issue was in case it happens to us. :|

Connected with Racepak today, consensus is that it's sick. Sent it in this afternoon for repair.

How did you go?