Thread: Problems communicating with laptop and Datalink 4.1.1

Default Problems communicating with laptop and Datalink 4.1.1

Hello.

I am having issues trying to connect the laptop to the racepak IQ3 dash.

I have the correct cable, serial to 3.5mm and have also made a new cable with the pinouts that Ric Shaw gave me, as he was tuning the car.

I tried on my laptop with the Datalink 4.1.1 software, and tried 2 different USB to Serial converters.
    When you try and connect via the scan ports option, it finds the port, but says 'transmit error'.

If you set the com port manually and try and do a vnet read, it errors with a transmit error also.

Ric tried 2 different laptops, one with USB to Serial, and one with serial only, and had same result.

If you have any ideas that would be great.

Dash works fine, was using car in weekend.

Here are some screen shots of the issues also, to help you try and work out what is going on!

IQ1 shows that the USB-Serial is set up for COM4.
    IQ2 shows the result of the COM scan. COM 4 is opened, but h as a receive error.
    IQ3 shows the preferences screen where I selected COM4.
    IQ4 shows the result of a READ VNET, with the reveive error also.

[attachment=2:3cxig3m9]IQ 1.jpg[/attachment:3cxig3m9]
    [attachment=1:3cxig3m9]IQ 2.jpg[/attachment:3cxig3m9]
    [attachment=0:3cxig3m9]IQ 3.jpg[/attachment:3cxig3m9]
    [attachment=0:3cxig3m9]IQ 3.jpg[/attachment:3cxig3m9]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Problems communicating with laptop and Datalink 4.1.1

Looks like you have everything set right. Are you sure that the USB adaptors that you are using are compatible for the Windows operating system you are using? They have some that will not work with newer versions. Also, you may want to try and download the newest version of our software. When you downloaded it could have had some sort of and interruption as that is an error we do not normally see.

I don't do it enough to ever memorize the right order, but there is a method to the madness of connecting a logger to a laptop through a USB-to-Serial adapter. If I remember right, once everything is connected, cycling power through the logger (shut it off, and back on) will usually help..

Quote Originally Posted by tiagosantos
    I don't do it enough to ever memorize the right order, but there is a method to the madness of connecting a logger to a laptop through a USB-to-Serial adapter. If I remember right, once everything is connected, cycling power through the logger (shut it off, and back on) will usually help..
    and moving the USB end from port to port on the computer sometimes does the trick for me.

One day I will label the ports ...
    IQ3 logger, Haltech PS1000, USM - for now!

i use an aten usb adaptor
    never usually have problems
    on the rare times i do i rescan the ports and it picks it up

i plug the usb adaptor in after windows has fully booted up and before i start datalink

6. Default Re: Problems communicating with laptop and Datalink 4.1.1

Knowning that my spouse and i definitely not only manifestation it happens to be whine.