Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IQ3 display averaging for fuel level.

Default Re: IQ3 display averaging for fuel level.

Quote Originally Posted by jackhs
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeEmm
    Perhaps all is not lost ....

http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/icm-fuel-sender/

Converts a resistance based fuel sender to a 0-5 Volt signal necessary for use with almost any data acquisition system that uses industry standard 0-5V sensor input for analog channels.

If anyone tries this device, please report back.

:mrgreen:
    I bought one of these for my Miata build now that I got rid of my RX-7.

Haven't installed it yet....actually haven't done much with the car either....someday I will get to it. Ugh.
    Wow, I thought that I would throw a few bucks at this lot, but the postage to Australia is about 3x the purchase price, over $300us total, before I convert to $A! And they won't answer my emails ... :roll: I guess business is pretty good over there ...

Jack, I presume you are US based? If not, would you care to share your purchase experience?

Thanks

IQ3 logger, Haltech PS1000, USM - for now!

Quote Originally Posted by jackhs
    Perhaps all is not lost ....

http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/icm-fuel-sender/

Converts a resistance based fuel sender to a 0-5 Volt signal necessary for use with almost any data acquisition system that uses industry standard 0-5V sensor input for analog channels.

If anyone tries this device, please report back.

I bought one of these for my Miata build now that I got rid of my RX-7.

Haven't installed it yet....actually haven't done much with the car either....someday I will get to it. Ugh.
    Wow, I thought that I would throw a few bucks at this lot, but the postage to Australia is about 3x the purchase price, over $300us total, before I convert to $A! And they won't answer my emails ... :roll: I guess business is pretty good over there ...

Jack, I presume you are US based? If not, would you care to share your purchase experience?

Thanks

I still haven't put it in. I started doing the entire IQ3 logger install and removing the factory instrument cluster but I bought some ebay LEDs as warning lights and they all suck so had to order some better ones and waiting for those to come now.

I didn't have any problems ordering from Iron Canyon but I did it through the website - I'm in the US, California same as them. Had to pay California tax and the shipping was high for such a small part but no where near what you got quoted - I'm just used to Amazon I guess

BTW the Miata and RX-7 resistance value for the fuel level sensors are pretty close as well at least from what I see in the factory manuals.

Maybe I've missed something here, but I think you guys have the same issue that I've been talking about for ages on here......... fuel readings moving around too much.....

I don't see any reason that we need anything other than a software change. All it needs is technically a maths channel to be able to read say 100 readings and only display an average of those readings. My fuel sensor moves around all over the place when going through high G corners, but is pretty stable on straights etc as the fuel isn't moving around as much so if you took an average over say 10 seconds and only updated the dash with the average value over 10 seconds it would be fine in my eyes......... yes ? no ?

That's all I want............ easy software fix......... just a channel setup so that it "averages" the readings over a certain time span or certain number of readings.

i still have the same too
    i would say it needs to be at least 50% slower on the display

Hi Nigel,

As discussed though, slowing the display down doesn't fix the issue, only averaging will....... If you just slow the display you still run the risk that if the bad reading synchronises with time the dash takes a reading it'll still show the wrong data.......... we need to take say 10 readings and then show the average..... that way you're always going to get a more consistent figure.

its probably my writing that makes it sound like that but i agrree with what you said

going round silverstone yesterday the fuel level was all over the place so i only found out i was too low when it got surge

Thank you for your sharing and i can only use my fuel level when the car is stationary.
    i like some high tech very much
    for example, maybe you wil like it sms gps tracker

Bringing the dead back to life v1 ...

This might be worth a try, if anyone is still looking at this issue. I have a gauge now, but I will check back here to see if anyone has tried it - please post results if you do try it.
    IQ3 logger, Haltech PS1000, USM - for now!

$70 is alot just for a fuel gauge to work properly

I still look in here now and again. I have considered one of those to go with my Motec dash, My Racepak I donated to a mates car, I am not sure if he will thank me when it looses display segments again. In the Motec dash I am able to set a very long time constant filter (Averaging over 30 seconds or more) but even that has it's own oddities (Like the fuel level reading taking a long time to stop moving when you turn the dash on with a lot of fuel in it)

I am yet to finish my new install as I ended up stealing my race cars ECU to put in another car (I was replacing the ECU next year anyway) so there is not much pressure on getting it ready. I have been quietly planning and buying tools as proper DT/DTM and open barrel crimp tools are expensive but produce a vastly better result than cheapies, particularly the open barrel ones, you go from a 50% failure rate in getting a good crimp to 99% good ones.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast