Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IQ3 display averaging for fuel level.

Default Re: IQ3 display averaging for fuel level.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Just thought I should post up here to keep the ball rolling.

The IRQ signal conditioning unit is actually still a development item. They are sending me one as we speak, called to suit my fuel sender as measured by myself with an ohmmeter on the condition that I give them a detailed report on my experience with it, which is entirely fair. Ivan, who I have been dealing with at IRQ seems to be pretty switched on. The best way to test I think is that I am going to log the input with and without the signal conditioner on consecutive runs so that the fuel level in the tank is similar and send them the logs. The conditioner is more than just an LCR filter circuit, though I suspect that there is one of those in the input stage, there are also some statistical tricks played to ignore spurious readings for the likes of a scratchy variable resistor.

I will report in here as to how it goes as this should be a really handy item for people with display of logging dashes (Or even straight data loggers) and the price looks very reasonable.
    Thanks Blue, I have been following this with interest.

:mrgreen:
    IQ3 logger, Haltech PS1000, USM - for now!

Still waiting for the international post, hopefully it arrives before this weekend so I can fit and calibrate it over the weekend for my first event the following weekend.

Got the IRQ engineering unit last week, just in time to fit and cal it before a car club event on the weekend just gone.

The unit is pretty good IMO. The only issues I have is that I managed to fool it's statistics one (It takes a snapshot reading on switch on, then sits for a while before statistically averaging the reading to eliminate real anomolies. For one run we had a delay in the start to retrieve a stopped car on the track so it was literally switch on, start up and go. On that particular run I got an erronious reading, I think it must have taken its inital reading in a corner and as the tank level was well down by then and allowed the fuel to slosh away from the level sender it produced a very low reading, that eventually corrected itself over the run (About five minutes)

Aside from that one glitch it produced a nice stable reading at all times which dropped away about as I would expect lap by lap.

I can not vouch for it's accuracy to the litre as the only measuring container I was able to get to do the calibration fill (Done in steps and recording readings to produce a calibration table to suit the car the unit is fitted to) turned out to be less than accurate. The car takes at least 60L of fuel to fill but I topped out at 57L from bone dry using the measuring container I could get off the shelf. I am more inclined to believe that the container I got was wrong than fuel pumps at service stations. They have legislated accuracy requuirements.

In all, happy with the unit. I am going to send the makers some logs as soon as I get time to pull them out, I am still learning the software now that I actually have some real data to play with.

Actually, scratch that, the logs showed up some odd behaviour. I need to set up input and output logging for them to refine the algorithm.

its sounding pretty good
    i will be using an autometer gauge for a while just so i know what fuel i have

Actually since then I have set up and input and output log and run the car on track again and they are working on the algorithm.

They might have an easier time of it with a later model car with a sliding float in a tube with a carbon film potentiometer, the arm and float arrangement puts out a terrible signal on the track. But they have set me a screen cap of the new algorithms output based on my logged input and it is getting much better. Impressively so in fact given the tank sender output is so variable in response to G loads that you can even see gear changes clearly in the data!

I am about to push the button on a programmable gauge, and see how that works. Be interested to see how much damping they provide. Not cheap though

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR-FUE...)-(w--warning)

Nice, I have an Autometer programmable gauge and I will actually be gong back to it. IRQ are essentially not developing the conditioner any more as the range of inputs it can receive vary so widely in behaviour. they managed to sort an algorithm that works fairly well on my car, with a couple of oddities. But as that is as good as it will get I think I will re install the Autometer and run with that. it was not as accurate level wise but did not suffer from the oscillations at all. I actually think that the algorithm approach might be over complicating it, averaging the input over 30 seconds I think would solve 90% of the problem.

Given it still has some niggles I plan to go back to the stepper motor gauge to free up a USM input then buy another pressure transducer and input manifold pressure via my USM as getting the dash to recalculate manifold pressure reported by the ECU in millibar to PSI for display has proven problematic, a formula that calculates out the pressures correctly in the display software produces off the planet results on the dash (Atmospheric pressure resulting in readings of a couple of hundred ETC) so I assume there is a calculation limitation there. Simpler to input PSI directly via a transducer that is calibrated in PSI. I only want that as a boost pressure in PSI is easier to read quickly and with a fuel pressure input directly under it for on track diagnostics it is easier to see 18PSI boost, about 55PSI or greater fuel pressure and know it is OK than looking at readings in KPA and juggling readings a couple of hundred KPA apart to achieve the same thing.

Perhaps all is not lost ....

http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/icm-fuel-sender/

Converts a resistance based fuel sender to a 0-5 Volt signal necessary for use with almost any data acquisition system that uses industry standard 0-5V sensor input for analog channels.

If anyone tries this device, please report back.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeEmm
    Perhaps all is not lost ....

http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/icm-fuel-sender/

Converts a resistance based fuel sender to a 0-5 Volt signal necessary for use with almost any data acquisition system that uses industry standard 0-5V sensor input for analog channels.

If anyone tries this device, please report back.

I bought one of these for my Miata build now that I got rid of my RX-7.

Haven't installed it yet....actually haven't done much with the car either....someday I will get to it. Ugh.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast