Thread: strange behavior, weird laptimes

Default strange behavior, weird laptimes

This weekend I was up at Watkins Glen and my G2X was basically unreliable and unusable. Its been rock solid for the last several years and I hope somebody can shed some light on where to look.

A typical lap time for me is in the area from 2:20 - 2:25 minutes. I set S/F in the first session, and it seemed to be working ok. It started a lap time when I came around for S/F the first time, the rev lights worked correctly, proper gear displayed, etc. The first session I wasn't paying that much attention to the times as the track was wet and I was focusing on relearning the line, etc. After several laps I looked down and it was telling my my lap time was in the area of 7 mins. After the 20-25 min session it had recorded only 3 laps, one only 4 seconds long. Predictive timing didn't work. Back in the paddock it was showing from 8-9 satellites. 2nd session just like the same, sometimes s/f would trigger the laptime, others not, Once again, when I looked down there was a 3 second last lap time.

the next session I reset the start finish line and it seemed it worked correctly that session. The next session back to funky times.

During a race I use it for a lap counter, not so much for the times and in the first race it seemed to keep correct lap times, in the 2nd race a couple of hours later, it didn't count correctly.

So where to look? Bad electric power? Break in GPS antenna? funky software module?

Default Re: strange behavior, weird laptimes

It is a black housing G2X, correct? I would suggest getting it back to our repair department and let them take a look at it, as it could be hardware related. Call our main number 1-949-709-5555 and when prompted press Selection 3 for the repair department and they can provide an RMA number along with shipping instructions.

Thanks

Tim

Thanks Tim, the line went to V/M so I left a message for them to call me back.

Tim - I was using my G2X last week in Seattle and had a similar problem, RPM and shift lights were working, but speed and lap times was not. Also, I had wired and calibrated oil pressure and oil temp sensors to my USM (in addition to steering and throttle) - they mostly worked, but would randomly flash down to zero. Kinda scary the first time I saw my oil pressure dip down to 0 instantly, before I realized it was something electrical

The GPS timing and speed worked for the first session, but not any of the following. Think it's a similar problem?

Are you finding a common issue with the black housing G2X's that causes this?

Cheers
    Tiago

Quote Originally Posted by alpinems
    This weekend I was up at Watkins Glen and my G2X was basically unreliable and unusable. Its been rock solid for the last several years and I hope somebody can shed some light on where to look.

A typical lap time for me is in the area from 2:20 - 2:25 minutes. I set S/F in the first session, and it seemed to be working ok. It started a lap time when I came around for S/F the first time, the rev lights worked correctly, proper gear displayed, etc. The first session I wasn't paying that much attention to the times as the track was wet and I was focusing on relearning the line, etc. After several laps I looked down and it was telling my my lap time was in the area of 7 mins. After the 20-25 min session it had recorded only 3 laps, one only 4 seconds long. Predictive timing didn't work. Back in the paddock it was showing from 8-9 satellites. 2nd session just like the same, sometimes s/f would trigger the laptime, others not, Once again, when I looked down there was a 3 second last lap time.
    I've had similar issues, mostly at the Glen. One of the things Tim and I came up with is that I tended to have more problems with laps running together and predictive not working at tracks with garages.

Since then I've made sure to not start out until the G2X has satellites synced it seems to be better. I've also found that the grandstands at either side of start/finish makes it a little less reliable and that moving my start/finish to before the bus stop seems to help as well.

I've also seen that running with a full card (no empty space) will not allow predictive to work correctly, which seems odd. It may just be coincidence.

Interesting. In my case, I don't think any of those factors apply. I didn't have a garage that weekend, and I was always synced with 8 to 9 satellites in my paddock area before heading off. My 2 gig mem card had 1.8 gig left at the end of the weekend, so that wasn't a problem. And since the timing loop for the sessions is at start/finish, moving my s/f to the busstop really doesn't work for me as I really want my laps to be close to what are the official times. That's important when qualifying and also when using it as a lap counter in the races. I have had plenty of trips to the Glen with no issues using S/F on the front straight, just this time.

In any case, it's been packed off and sent back to Racepak to take a look. We'll see what they say. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinems
    Interesting. In my case, I don't think any of those factors apply. I didn't have a garage that weekend, and I was always synced with 8 to 9 satellites in my paddock area before heading off. My 2 gig mem card had 1.8 gig left at the end of the weekend, so that wasn't a problem. And since the timing loop for the sessions is at start/finish, moving my s/f to the busstop really doesn't work for me as I really want my laps to be close to what are the official times. That's important when qualifying and also when using it as a lap counter in the races. I have had plenty of trips to the Glen with no issues using S/F on the front straight, just this time.

In any case, it's been packed off and sent back to Racepak to take a look. We'll see what they say. Thanks.
    How'd you make out?

It turned out there was some corrosion on the circuit board probably from water. My last 3 race weekends were in downpours all weekend long, and everything got wet. I thought the box was protected enough but I guess not. They fixed the board and shipped it back to me for a $100 repair charge. Unfortunately the tech forgot to tighten the antenna connector so when I got to the track and installed the G2X connectors, the antenna one went round and round without tightening down. This caused the antenna wire to separate from the connector internally so it didn't work all weekend. They shipped out the internal connector as soon as I told them.

Not having the data all weekend showed me how much I grown to depend on it during and after sessions.