Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VIPEC ECU Canbus connection

Default Re: VIPEC ECU Canbus connection

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I haven't had any feedback from Racepak about the data files I sent back to them and if they produces the results they were expecting but certainly from my perspective the new interface works faultlessly.

Any Vipec or Link users that want to connect to their IQ3 should contact Racepak and ask for a CANBUS interface as they have made mine and it works so I don't see why they wouldn't replace the existing serial unit or supply it in addition to that interface for those who want it.

Racepak were very kind through the whole process and put a reasonable amount of resource behind getting this interface working so thanks very much to Tim Anderson of Racepak for putting in the efforts on behalf of us Vipec/Link customers.........

Fantastic. What information is sent from the ecu to the dash when using the canbus interface?

All the same channels as the serial interface that Racepak supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Lill3bror
    Any updates/news in this thread? Im very interested in getting my ViPEC to talk to my IQ3 with the canbus. Just received my ViPEC v44 back from ViPEC after a canbus upgrade.
    cvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvfvf

Lill3bror did you buy the EFI connector plug as well as the dash unit? It has writing on it saying Vi-PEC EFI
    If so just use the EFI plug direct from ECU to the DASH and terminate the plug.

1) Open up Vi-PEC software
    2) Go to ECU Settings
    3) Click Configuration
    4) Change Data Stream Baud to 57600
    5) Change Data Stream Mode to Short

Done. You will now be able to unplug the Laptop cable and data will then send to the dash. You cannot have dash information at the same time the laptop is connected.

Yeah I think he knows about that serial EFI adaptor, but he's talking about the CANBUS one that Racepak made for me so you can tune and have the dash connected at the same time......... it's a separate interface from the one you're talking about.

Thank you for responding. I bought the Racepak dash as a secondhand. And the user before me used it together with his HALTECH system. His HALTECH was communicating with the dash via CANBUS and therefor I thought that my ViPEC could do the same. But first of all, I realized that my ViPEC was to old to have the CANBUS (the older ones have a canbus output, but no canbus "inside"). So I sent my ViPEC all the way to Australia or New Zealand (don't remember where ViPEC is located) and got it upgraded.

Now I have my ViPEC upgraded and sending out canbus and I have my IQ3 dash (which worked fine with reading canbus from Haltech). And I cannot get this to work.

I wired the CAN high and CAN lo according to the wire diagram for Haltech. So the cable should be OK (?!).

I also tried to send a mail to both tim and todd at racepak. But no luck with getting in touch with them.

Please f1racr, can you help me with what I need?

(Hope you understand my description of what I've done :P)

Hi there,

I believe you might be out of luck without purchasing the proper Vipec CANBUS interface.

I also have a Haltech version of the IQ3 instead of the normal IQ3 from Racepak so I've had to disable the Haltech channels on the IQ3 so I'm a few channels down but I've got enough for what I need at the moment so that's all good and I'm going to purchase a new IQ3 soon anyhow.

The problem you have is that the Haltech version of the dash has extra hardware built in to talk directly to the Haltech dashes and I don't believe you can make it talk to the Link as the CANBUS ID's are different so the Vipec won't respect that information coming through. I might be wrong as I'm no wizard, but they knew my situation and we still had to make this new Vipec CANBUS interface to make things work.

I have a Haltech IQ3. The Haltech ECU does not need the EFI cable as they install that part( the Data Channels) inside the ECU. A Vi-PEC needs the EFI Channel cable. So the question is do you have the expensive EFI cable.

I bought a Vi-PEC EFI cable with the USB end from http://949racing.com/racepak-efi-interface.aspx Are you using a cable that has a box on it that looks like this:

Make sure the end is terminated:

Once you have the EFI Cable attached go to Vi-PEC software:
    1) Open up Vi-PEC software
    2) Go to ECU Settings
    3) Click Configuration
    4) Change Data Stream Baud to 57600
    5) Change Data Stream Mode to Short
    ----
    The rest is not Vipec software but Racepaks:
    6) Download Datalink Software & install
    7) Scan ports and find Serial port ready
    8) Select Edit/Read VNET Config & successfully download channels to the laptop software

As mentioned before though that cable is not CANBUS which is what he is asking about. That interface you've shown is the serial version of the interface which can't be used at the same time as the tuning software.

The CANBUS interface that I have is a one off that they developed at my request with the intention of replacing the serial interface that they currently sell.

Yeah I understand but I can't find it available on any shop. If he doesn't have an EFI cable I guess he should contact Racepak and see if its possible to get the 2 way EFI canbus cable.

If not 230-VM-EFIVIPEC cable will get him data going to the screen except when the laptop is connected.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast