Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VIPEC ECU Canbus connection

Default Re: VIPEC ECU Canbus connection

I see what f1racr was talking about.

When I have the Vipec laptop cable plugged into the USB port & the Racepak EFI cable attached to the CAN port I am unable to connect on the laptop. That majorly sucks but that is a problem to take up with the Vi-PEC forum I guess.

Still though I am not seeing any data on my dash. I'm going to download the firmware & update just in case Haltech loaded their own firmware to it.

I think the issue is more a Racepak issue, only in the sense that the ECU (with the right firmware) supports canbus but at the moment we are essentially just trying to find out how to physically connect the ECU to the VNET so we can get that CANBUS data from the ECU to the dash........

I'm hoping we can use the existing VIPEC interface cable somehow as otherwise it's a lot of money wasted but I think Racepak are likely to come back and tell us that we need to purchase a generic CANBUS cable and then get a tail cable and connector from Link/VIPEC so that we can cable it to our ECU's and then we just setup the ECU with the generic CAN config they have in the ECU software and we should be go.......

But I don't know enough about the existing VIPEC cable and what it can do to know how the whole thing works really, so I'm very much throwing possibilities around not stating facts........ I'm hoping Racepak will get back to us soon with some kind of official solution as I wouldn't think it was too hard to be honest to make it work via Canbus now the ECU supports it...... I guess it's a priority thing with Racepak as they no doubt have plenty on in other areas too.

I'll be interested in this too, due to holdups on my car build I'm yet to have the car tuned with its Link G4 with the IQ3

So can I just confirm this?

You are unable to send any data to the racepack dash? or you are unable to multitask sending data to the dash when plugged into the laptop?

The reason why i ask is because I cant see any data ever no matter which port I use from the ecu.

No, my dash works just fine, I just can't have the dash getting data whilst connected to the other port with the USB/RS232 cable for tuning.

I think the reason is that the ECU only has one chip for doing RS232 communications so when you connect to the ECU to tune it can't stream data via RS232 to the dash which is what the current VIPEC cable does as far as I know.

Now with the second port supporting CANBUS the port that was used for RS232 communications can now be used for CANBUS which means that the tuning can still happen over the RS232 protocol on the usual port and the dash can talk using CANBUS so that way they can both go at the same time ........ that make sense ??

The issue you're having is a bit odd......... my ECU just connected to the dash and worked.......

Is it possible for you to send the Link/Vipec LCC file configuration of the dash?

I made a separate thread since mine is a different problem but I would still like both ports working

email is warrenduncan@hotmail.com

OK so got some hopeful good news on the CANBUS -> VIPEC/LINK ECU front.

I have been liasing with Tim at Racepak and Link and have managed to get an ECU on it's way to Tim who is going to investigate what might be needed to make this work........ no promises, but at least we will soon know one way or the other if it's going to be easy enough or not.

I would assume that if there is any new interface that it's going to have to be unique and won't be able to use the existing VIPEC module / cable which is frustrating as they're not cheap, but I guess motorsport has never been cheap !

It's going to be at least 4-5 weeks I'd imagine before anything gets tested but at least there's a chance of something in the pipeline

At the moment I have to unplug the dash wire about 10 times a day so I can plug up the laptop to reconfigure the ecu... so tedious !

Yeah, I have just setup a switch for the dash power so I can just switch it off so I don't need to keep plugging and unplugging. Seems to be fine if the dash is powered off for tuning.

Only thing I need to remove the dash cable from the ECU was for updating firmware as it caused an error during firmware update if the dash was plugged in even if it wasn't powered up.

Hopefully the new interface won't take too long as I've supplied the CANBUS format code that I got from Link to Racepak and now they have an ECU on it's way to them so once they have that they can test and make sure it's working and then release it........ Thats all with fingers crossed that it's not more complicated than it sounds !

Any updates/news in this thread? Im very interested in getting my ViPEC to talk to my IQ3 with the canbus. Just received my ViPEC v44 back from ViPEC after a canbus upgrade.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast