Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VIPEC ECU Canbus connection

Default VIPEC ECU Canbus connection

Hi there,

I have a VIPEC/Link ECU connected to my IQ3 using the VIPEC interface cable....... all works well other than the fact that I can't connect to the ECU when the dash is connected and powered on, only when the dash is disconnected. I believe this is essentially because the output port of the ECU is essentially in use with the data flowing to the dash and it can't support more than one connection at a time using the same protocol.

However, using the latest firmware the VIPEC and Link ECU's now support CAN streaming from the output port and I can still connect to the ECU whilst it's working. It's just annoying at the moment as every time we want to tune we have to disconnect the dash to do it so I'm interested as to what changes I need to make to have the ECU talk over CAN to my IQ3.... ???

Any help is, as always much appreciated.

Default Re: VIPEC ECU Canbus connection

We will have to contact Vipec/Link and determine what changes they have made in regards to the firmware. We will post our findings for you.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

Can I do anything to contact Link to see what can be done to make Canbus work ??? It's a real pain that we have to keep disconnecting or switching off the dash when we're tuning !

Hi,

Can I ask how you plugged into the dash as today I began to try to configure the dash for the first time & was unable to get any data from the ECU.

I have the Racepak IQ3 dash loom only providing power, I purchased the Vipec EFI cable which goes from CAN1 on the V88 ECU and have the large plug with the EFI writing on the IQ3 side. Behind that EFI dongle I can see the end which if I had other CAN devices I could daisy chain from.

Is that how you have it or do I need a terminator on the back of that EFI cable?

Also should the IQ3 be able to see data from the ECU straight out of the box or does it need to be loaded up from the Datalink software.

I thought I would ask first rather than spend an hour or two playing around to only realise I need a terminator !

Thanks

The Racepack IQ3 'V-Net' cable will need to plug into the dash and the other end the ViPEC EFI module, with yes a terminator cap. If you had other V-Net modules (sensor modules or USM ect) then these will be somewere inbetween the dash and that terminator plug.

Once thats connected right, dash powered up, laptop cable connected and set up, going into Datalink and go EDIT -> READ Vnet config it should find the efi module and bring up the 17 channels available from the vipec (altho im having an issue with mine, see the tech section on the forum)

You are in melb too ! thanks for the reply yeah it seems I need the terminator cap.

Did you buy it overseas or from Australia?

Don't worry Haltech had the VNET Female Terminator in stock

Hi Tim,

I have contacted Link / VIPEC and they suggested that they can setup their ECU to communicate / emulate a few different CANBUS configurations, so I think essentially it just comes down to have I physically interface it into the IQ3..... ideally it would be nice if I can just continue to use the existing cable I purchased, but I see you do a generic canbus interface cable so maybe that is what I need ?? Any help is much appreciated as I would like to be able to tune and leave the dash running which I can't do at the moment.

Yeah ImpulseWRX im in melb. If you get it going let me know, ill be connecting to the vipec soon, would love to see it working before i make all my looms!

f1racr thanks for contacting them, im also eager to find out what we can do.

I'm still struggling to get it working

1) Dash has power from the separate loom
    2) $400 Vipec EFI cable purchased and plugged directly from Vipec V88 ECU to the IQ3

3) Terminator female plugged into the back of the EFI cable
    4) Serial cable plugged into IQ3 & laptop
    5) The 2x push buttons are not wired up yet

6) Downloaded Datalink Software & installed
    7) Scanned ports and found Serial port ready
    8) Selected Edit/Read VNET Config & successfully downloaded channels to the laptop software
    9) Saved the downloaded channel config to a "baseline" file
    10) Saved again to the live edit file I want to play with
    11) Began to watch a few youtube videos titled "IQ3 Setup"
    12) Right clicked on the IQ3 channel and the 4 iq3 configurable screens appear
    13) Test by changing the screen brightness & then select write
    14) See the IQ3 screens brightness change.

The problem is I still don't have any data coming from the Vipec ECU to the dash !

I have swapped the EFI cable to the "USB" CAN Port on the V88 which I have confirmed works fine when I connect using the laptop & vipec software. I have also swapped the EFI cable to the "CAN" labelled port.

Is there a step I am missing?

Thanks Warren

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast