Thread: Digital 6 plus tach issue

Default Digital 6 plus tach issue

Hi, I'm using a complete MSD ignition on a fresh Chrysler small block. I have a pro billet distributor, blaster SS coil, and the Digital 6 plus box. Everything works as it should, the car fires right up, no problems. However I cannot get my tach to read the signal off the box. It is a brand new autometer tach, which states in the MSD instructions, I will not need the 8920 tach adapter. I have everything wired accordingly just like the instructions state. I also tried another autogauge tach that I know works, but still does not pick up the signal from the tach output on the box.

Is there a way to test the tach output? I tried to test the volts from that terminal while the engine is running, I got 13-15 volts. I read on other box's it's supposed to be from 1.5-5 volts.

The tach output on the box should read low voltage as it is a 12volt square wave. The autogauge tachs require an adaptor. I just want to make sure you are connecting the tach signal wire to the spade connector on that box correct?

Yes, I used a tach adapter for the autogauge, no luck. I used the auto meter gauge and hooked to the tach signal wire to the spade on the box, still no reading. With the engine running, I'm getting 13-15 volts on the spade on the box. Should I send it in for testing/repair?

What sort of meter are you using? The tach output is a 12v square wave, so your meter should read an average value from about 2v up to 12v. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Mopardude318 View Post
    Yes, I used a tach adapter for the autogauge, no luck. I used the auto meter gauge and hooked to the tach signal wire to the spade on the box, still no reading. With the engine running, I'm getting 13-15 volts on the spade on the box. Should I send it in for testing/repair?
    I would call us to get that unit looked at sir, with a regular volt meter you should read low voltage anywhere from 0-5 volts with a regular volt meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
    What sort of meter are you using? The tach output is a 12v square wave, so your meter should read an average value from about 2v up to 12v. Gary
    Hey Gary. I'm using a $200 dollar Fluke meter that reads everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopardude318 View Post
    Hey Gary. I'm using a $200 dollar Fluke meter that reads everything.
    Good to hear you have a good multimeter. I have a Protek that reads true RMS, data logs via RS232 etc, traps min and max etc. Gary
    Regards, Gary

was the unit sent in?
    shake-n-bake