Thread: Troubleshoot 6-M2 Marine

Default Troubleshoot 6-M2 Marine

I have a 6-M2, with 55E5 and 4489 shift assist hooked up to a 460 Ford/OMC. Today I started the engine and all of a sudden it just quit running. I tested for spark with coil wire and had none. I then tested the MSD coil by jumping the green & violet wires and yes the coil wire sparked when jumper was removed. I also now have spark and the engine runs. What's up with that? My question would be is that some sort of reset for the 6-M2 box?

Good morning sir. The issue you're having is not going to be with the ignition system. If it was the box then the engine wouldn't start at all.
    shake-n-bake

The last post was from last summer. I just brought the boat out of Winter storage and again no spark. Just to be sure I bought a new $50. MSD coil. No help. I then started pulling the connectors from the MSD boxes and distributor apart and noticed all the pins had dried up grease on them. I sprayed the sealed connectors with cleaner and scraped the pins as best I could and the engine immediately started. Have you guys experienced this with other customers? Would I be wise to cut out the MSD connectors and butt splice the wires? This boat can't be trusted as is. Just FYI: The MSD equipment is about 20 years old, but only about 100 hours on it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_hans View Post
    Would I be wise to cut out the MSD connectors and butt splice the wires?
    I'd rather clean all the ignition connectors/terminals.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I thought the problem was fixed. Boat sat for three weeks and no spark. Butt spliced all wires in the MSD system, no spark. Did the jumper test on the green & violet wires and no spark. I then jumped the magnetic distributor harness that is not used, and maybe a coincidence I now have spark and the engines runs perfectly. Something intermittent is stopping the flow of electricity. Any chance the MSD marine shift assist module could cause this intermittent problem? How can I bypass the module to determine if it's the culprit? This is not a money issue, but I don't want to shell out several hundred dollars for a new box without knowing it's the problem.

Have you tried taking out the shift assist to see if it fires up like that?
    shake-n-bake

I finally got fed up and shelled out $400 for a 6M3L box. Everything now works including the MSD marine shift assist. P.S. You guys are not very helpful with marine issues and products.

Well sir, it'd be better if you called in and ask to talk with Powersports 915-857-5200, ext 2253. Have a good day.
    shake-n-bake