Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boost timing master not retarding

Default Boost timing master not retarding

HI MSD ,

I had a brand new BTM for few years before i used it , and when i tried to use it it did not work .

I got an rma and sent it in,and it came back with a clean bill of health .

It still did not work , and in the end it transpired that it needed a really good 12v to allow it to work ,and my battery ,although it span the engine over well,and started well on the msd 7al2 , was not creating enough volts for the btm to work as well...after charging the battery to the max, it would fire no problem .

the new problem that raised its head was,the car was not working well on boost,no matter what i did with the amount of retard knob , so i set the BTM start point to minimum , and used a timing light to watch the crank pulley marks while i injected pressure into the btm boost inlet .i took it up to 15 psi , and at no point did it retard the timing .

my question is ,when it was sent in for rma testing ,and found good , would the boost retard function have been tested ?

is it possible that the screw that governs the psi start time has clamped a hose inside that is now gummed together and so blocked ?

thanks
    regards
    robert in uk .

where is your start point at? if its set to high or at 0 it will not work. and how are you applying pressure to the boost inlet?
    shake-n-bake

i think i tried it at 3 psi and zero , i used a compressor air feed with a regulator to change boost level .also i took off the mtb , i then reset the car timing to 26 instead of 32 , and it ran a lot better . do you know if you would have tested the boost retard function when i sent it in ?

any luck msd ?

we have a few things for you to check out so call in so we can walk you through everything and get this fixed
    shake-n-bake

Quote Originally Posted by msdtech50 View Post
    we have a few things for you to check out so call in so we can walk you through everything and get this fixed
    hi tech 50 , i am in england , so cannot call cheaply , i can do whatsapp or messenger call,or email or on here . . i wanted to know ,was the retard function tested when i sent it in ?

regards
    robert.

what was the repair number you sent in with so I can look it up
    shake-n-bake

what was the repair number you sent in with so i can look it up
    rma 124207

shows that it tested good and found no issues with the box and it was even tested with a 6-al(6425) and they ran it for 4 hours at 4,ooo rpm and it did not fail. doesn't show if the boost function was tested. it was sent in on 10-30-2015 so I couldn't get information on it because it has been so long
    shake-n-bake

shows that it tested good and found no issues with the box and it was even tested with a 6-al(6425) and they ran it for 4 hours at 4,ooo rpm and it did not fail. doesn't show if the boost function was tested. it was sent in on 10-30-2015 so I couldn't get information on it because it has been so long
    ok dokey , thank you msd 50 , so you suggested earlier i need to run through a test program to find the problem ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast