Thread: 6AL-2 Programmable low voltage code, possible faulty box

Default 6AL-2 Programmable low voltage code, possible faulty box

Hello there,
    So I 'll start from the beginning: I using the 6AL-2 to run the ignition on a slant-6 turbo setup. I bought my box about 2011 and had it sitting on a shelf for about a year or so(untouched, still new in box). When I finally got around to wiring it into the car, the car would not run. We chased our tail for a while, until finally one day I read a "CONVERTER OFF" code; sent it in to MSD for repair about 6 months ago or less. Received it back a few months ago, and am now installing it on the car for the second time. When I turn the car on the LED blinks twice then goes off (car obviously doesn't start) which is a "Low voltage" code. I triple checked everything (ground, voltage from battery and voltage from ignition switch) and everything is reading 12.35V. I went to do a spark test with the white wire that runs to the distributor..when I touch it to ground, it doesn't spark, only makes a staticy whining noise then LED stays on without the white wire connected. I'm sort of at my wits-end here. My ground is good and my voltage isn't low. I've read a few threads on here with people saying the same thing..they mostly end with a tech replying "PM your phone number", so I'm not optimistic considering my experience with this product thus far, but I'm hoping this thread will help me figure it out. I've already paid for the box and a repair and have yet to see it do what it is supposed to do, so what gives??

Also, I just went back out and checked the voltage on the white wire =6.5V when the ignition is on. Battery is fully charged, ground is good. Can't figure it out. Only thing I see that COULD (but likely is not) be causing this is I had to extend my wire that went to battery (battery is in the trunk and box is in car) and I did not use a size bigger wire as the instructions say(unit wires are 12g, I used 12g wire for the extension ,not 10g). But I'm still reading 12.35V at the connection and the ground is good. I have not cut into the harness yet to redo the extension because it doesn't SEEM to be causing the problem, but if it could be the culprit, I will do so immediately. But if the voltage is reading good at the red/black connector, I don't know how changing that wire could possibly fix the issue.

Ok, another update. Re-read the instructions for the spark test, and swapped out the coil as per the troubleshooting guide.. No dice. Even with a brand new coil, when I do the spark test, the distributor makes a staticy whine and no spark. LED just keeps blinking twice

I too am having the EXACT same problem I posted over in the install forum, any luck with yours? Unfortunately it is too late for me to send it back to Summit for a refund, otherwise I would...

Default no luck

No luck. After waiting 2 months, MSD finally sent me a 'new' 6al2 prog. box. Does the same low voltage code. This thing WILL NOT work. My battery is good, grounds are good. I have now tried bench-testing it(have a battery outside of car, hooking up directly to box..same thing. Apparently it does not matter how I set it up.. it wont turn on. HELP MSD!!! Your box is garbo!! At least tell me how to test it so I can rule the box out(my original 6al2 purchase had a 'converter off' code first time I used it; forgive me for not having a ton of faith in your products vis-a-vis dependability from the box). Help me get this thing verified "good" so I can move past it. And no, I dont mean tell me to send it in...be better.