Thread: Can not use timing control or get it to work.

Default Can not use timing control or get it to work.

Ford 347 stroker 415 HP. Atomic 2900 EFI throttle body injection.
    MSD ignition box and MSD distributor locked out with adjustable rotor.
    Engine timing retards 25-30° when I enable timing control. Thanks for help.

In the Advanced Menu, go to timing and at the bottom it asks if you wish to lock it out at -15°. Lock it out and set your timing with a light at -15° and it should work.

Hi. I've found that I have exactly the same problem, accept that my Atomic retards the ignition about 20°. How did you fix it?

Hasty, I posted this on another thread. Please follow this procedure to set up the Atomic TBI to control timing.

1. Rotate the engine balancer until the pointer is on 15°-BTDC of the compression stroke on the number one cylinder.
    2. Remove the distributor from the engine.
    3. Lock-out the centrifugal and vacuum advance of the distributor.
    4. Install the adjustable rotor and set it 15° opposite of normal rotation.
    5. With the advance locked and rotor adjusted, reinstall the distributor into the engine with the rotor lining up with the number one terminal on the distributor cap. Lightly tighten the distributor hold down to allow for adjustment if needed.
    6. Turn the ignition switch on (do NOT start yet).
    7. On the Atomic handheld unit, enter into the INITIAL SETUP menu. Scroll down to the TIMING CONTROL option and select ENABLE. Return to the MAIN MENU.
    8. From the MAIN MENU, enter the ADVANCED SETUP menu. Scroll to, and enter, the IGNITION TIMING menu.
    9. Scroll down to, and enter, the LOCK TIMING option. The message should display, “TIMING @ 15 DBTDC IGN. TIMING IS NOW LOCKED AT 15 DBTDC…”
    10. While the handheld is displaying the above message, start the engine. After the engine has started, verify that the above message is still displayed on the handheld.
    11. Verify the timing at the balancer is at 15° BTDC of number one. Adjust the distributor if necessary.
    12. Once the timing has been synchronized, shut off the engine. Secure the distributor.
    13. Restart the engine and go to the DASH display on the Atomic Handheld, scroll down to the timing line. Compare the value shown on the handheld with the balancer, they should be the same.
    MSD Tech Support
    915-855-7123

Quote Originally Posted by Hasty View Post
    Ford 347 stroker 415 HP. Atomic 2900 EFI throttle body injection.
    MSD ignition box and MSD distributor locked out with adjustable rotor.
    Engine timing retards 25-30° when I enable timing control. Thanks for help.
    How are you checking this timing?
    You can't read the timing with a timing light (when Atomic is controlling the timing) when at idle. It will show the timing bouncing around at idle.

From the manual:
    It is important to note that you will not see accurate
    timing at idle speed when viewing with a timing light. This is due
    to ECU calculations. If you rev the engine off idle, the timing will
    appear correctly.