Thread: New install on rebuilt 406sbc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile New install on rebuilt 406sbc

I had my 406 rebuilt and decided it was time to jump into fuel injection on a 1972 Chevy K10. I installed a Boyd's Welding tank under the bed. I bought the master kit with the return kit. I ran into a few issues. Fuel system was super easy to run. I have had no leaks to date. My fuel pump is frame mounted about 4 feet from the tank but with the return system I have had no issues. I did wrap the exhaust in heat tape to keep the worst radiant heat from the pump. I figure I'll use it until it dies and get an in-tank pump. I was disappointed that there is no kit to allow you to drop the pump in the tank. The instructions all say you need a wiring harness and fuel sock but I couldn't find one. Seams like a great idea to me...

I am running a MSD 6A and a Pro-Billet distributor. I wanted the system to run the timing. I got it hooked up correctly but didn't read the instructions close enough. I set the Initial screen to disable timing and when I would enable it, the engine would die. I put in the rotor phasing cap not realizing that there was 20 degrees possible and I reset it to 15. The trick was to enable the timing in the initial screen, lock it in the advance screen to set the timing at -15. These two points are different. It made sense to me that -15 with timing disabled and -15 locked out would be the same place, but it isn't. As soon as I figured that out,(it was clear in the instructions) my engine is happy to run.

I am hoping that this will turn my truck into a reliable runner for the winters here in Montana. image1.jpeg

good to hear.

it has been a few years since my install. i have the atomic controlling my timing also. i forgot how to set it up but will bookmark your post for future reference.

i havent needed to mess with the atomic in a long time. its been running well.