Thread: IAC won't stabilize, it's either 0 or 175.

Default IAC won't stabilize, it's either 0 or 175.

I'm trying to get the IAC to properly control the idle, but not getting anywhere. With a fully warmed up engine, I adjust the throttle blade screws and watch the IAC Position on the handheld. I have the blade position balanced to where if I open the throttle just slightly, the IAC count marches down to zero, about one count per second. If I close the blade slightly, the IAC count marches up to 175. This is with a really tiny amount of screw position change. To me this feels like the IAC motor has no effect. How can I figure out what's happening and how to fix it?

Related question. What's the proper way to remove the IAC motor? Getting to the screws seems very difficult without removing the fuel rail. Thanks.

I seem to have fixed it, it was the "stuck IAC" problem. Perusing the forums, this seems to be rather common. I removed the IAC using a ball point Allen wrench, which allowed removing the screws without removing the fuel rail. I shoved the IAC pintle against a piece of wood, and with some force, it retracted. I then plugged in the connector and cycled power to watch the pintle advance and retract, so far so good. I reinstalled the IAC and started it up, and voila, the IAC operates as I expect.

Is this "stuck" condition an indication of a bad IAC? Should I expect it to happen again? Is there anything I should do to prevent it from happening again? Is this just a new system problem, or does it occur due to storage not running, or something else? Thanks.

Anything new with this? I'm having similar symptoms, might try & replace IAC.