Thread: YEA BABY!!!! Installed and running on a BBC '57 Chevy Pro Street Car!

Default YEA BABY!!!! Installed and running on a BBC '57 Chevy Pro Street Car!

i am not a social media person, let alone social. but i need to post a few things about my MSD ATOMIC EFI!!

A.A.S. Automotive Technology, ASE Certified Master Auto Tech, Licensed NYS Inspector, 20+ year (successful) auto repair shop owner, former bracket racer (8.60 @ 160 mph door car). Yea I have a little automotive experience.

I got sick of the annual Holley rebuilds so I decided to make my baby a Fuelie!
    Looked at the others and decided on an MSD Atomic. Hell since I was running a billet distributor and 7al2 box I am kinda partial to MSD anyway. I miss my 10 box and three step and dial rev limiter off my door car.
    Need to be honest here it was a little more involved than MSD advertised. Chalk one up to the marketing dept.
    If I were starting from scratch I would recommend ALL MSD componetry. Fuel pump, by-pass regulator, ignition box, etc. Full MSD!!! It makes the install a touch easier.

Started with a Tanks, Inc fuel tank, (mounted under the trunk floor as original, and still using the hidden fuel fill) Walbro in tank pump, Tanks Inc fuel level sending unit. The tank has a nice finish, the sending unit and pump needed to be put together but everything worked. Ran #8 feed line and #6 return line, with inline fuel filter. Atomic unit bolts on as usual and the ecm mounted under the dash (cuz my engine compartment has to be spotless). O2 bung welded coolant temp sensor etc...

Here is where the fun started 1st tech call to MSD I asked about the fuel pressure reg. I was told 'you can use ANY fuel pressure regulator you want". O. K. well since this type of stuff always goes over budget I ordered a billet CHINESE regulator kit off Amazon. It looked good but I quickly learned you cannot use ANY fuel pressure regulator!!!!! You need a BY-PASS regulator compatible with fuel injection and 100+ psi, not a DEADHEAD regulator like the Holley carb regulators. 60.00 down the drain, eBay here I come! Anyway ordered an MSD by-pass reg next day air from the box store of speed shops and got it tuesday, instant success!! Fuel pressure worked, adjusted as needed. Filled up the tank and readjusted fuel pressure as needed and the car ran great. No pedal pumping hard starts and stalls, no attached garage filled with smoke and fumes. Ran great!!

Next comes the electronic timing control. One of the many tech calls to MSD, since I was running a 7aL2 box, hook the white wire to my tach terminal. O.K. I did and that worked when the timing was locked. I was also told to plug the billet distributor to the Atomic EFI plug and plug the YELLOW wire to the tach terminal. After locking the distributor out, phasing the rotor, eyeballing the timing, guess what NO-START, NO SPARK? What this can't be. How can MSD's tech be wrong AGAIN!!!!! Not twice! No these guys are experts!!!!!
    About 1/2 hour of internet research, (the internet makes us all smarter), I thought could the yellow wire be wrong? I hooked the distributor back to the MSD 7 box and the engine fired, (but still no start). Check all connections, fuel pump pressure good, what the hell is going on.
    After digging through the archives I find and old wiring diagram of an MSD timing control box (they still make it?) and my 7aL2 box. Guess what the timing control box has a yellow wire and guess where it is going, to the POINTS terminal on the 7aL2 box. Could it be, MSD wrong????? So I took a chance. What was the worst that could happen, I fry the Atomic EFI? Hooked up the yellow Atomic wire to the points terminal and guess what, STARTED, FIRED and IDLED!!!!!

I felt like I was in the clear.

Called MSD tech again this am 06/30 and spoke to a very nice young guy named Brett @x2808. He listened to my rambling and babbling about how correct I am and how the entire world is wrong. He assured me that I received wrong information and apologized. He said I was correct to connect the yellow Atomic wire to the points terminal, and yes I needed a by-pass regulator. Also confirmed a question about installing a fuel pressure check valve. I can't stand the bleed down and prime.

Brought my timing light home, set timing, vehicle fired and ran drove it around showed it off to an old guy racer named Joe Black.

Finally took my beautiful, patient wife Trish for a ride and she said I scared the crap out of her!!!

I would always recommed MSD products and I am very happy with my Fuelie Pro-Street '57 Chevy. back to being non-social - tcz0657@icloud.com

So, how is it running? Did you have you make many adjustments?
    Can you give more information about the fuel pressure check valve?
    Where did you install the check valve and what difference did it make?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcZ0657 View Post
    i am not a social media person, let alone social. but i need to post a few things about my MSD ATOMIC EFI!!

A.A.S. Automotive Technology, ASE Certified Master Auto Tech, Licensed NYS Inspector, 20+ year (successful) auto repair shop owner, former bracket racer (8.60 @ 160 mph door car). Yea I have a little automotive experience.

I got sick of the annual Holley rebuilds so I decided to make my baby a Fuelie!
    Looked at the others and decided on an MSD Atomic. Hell since I was running a billet distributor and 7al2 box I am kinda partial to MSD anyway. I miss my 10 box and three step and dial rev limiter off my door car.
    Need to be honest here it was a little more involved than MSD advertised. Chalk one up to the marketing dept.
    If I were starting from scratch I would recommend ALL MSD componetry. Fuel pump, by-pass regulator, ignition box, etc. Full MSD!!! It makes the install a touch easier.

Started with a Tanks, Inc fuel tank, (mounted under the trunk floor as original, and still using the hidden fuel fill) Walbro in tank pump, Tanks Inc fuel level sending unit. The tank has a nice finish, the sending unit and pump needed to be put together but everything worked. Ran #8 feed line and #6 return line, with inline fuel filter. Atomic unit bolts on as usual and the ecm mounted under the dash (cuz my engine compartment has to be spotless). O2 bung welded coolant temp sensor etc...

Here is where the fun started 1st tech call to MSD I asked about the fuel pressure reg. I was told 'you can use ANY fuel pressure regulator you want". O. K. well since this type of stuff always goes over budget I ordered a billet CHINESE regulator kit off Amazon. It looked good but I quickly learned you cannot use ANY fuel pressure regulator!!!!! You need a BY-PASS regulator compatible with fuel injection and 100+ psi, not a DEADHEAD regulator like the Holley carb regulators. 60.00 down the drain, eBay here I come! Anyway ordered an MSD by-pass reg next day air from the box store of speed shops and got it tuesday, instant success!! Fuel pressure worked, adjusted as needed. Filled up the tank and readjusted fuel pressure as needed and the car ran great. No pedal pumping hard starts and stalls, no attached garage filled with smoke and fumes. Ran great!!

Next comes the electronic timing control. One of the many tech calls to MSD, since I was running a 7aL2 box, hook the white wire to my tach terminal. O.K. I did and that worked when the timing was locked. I was also told to plug the billet distributor to the Atomic EFI plug and plug the YELLOW wire to the tach terminal. After locking the distributor out, phasing the rotor, eyeballing the timing, guess what NO-START, NO SPARK? What this can't be. How can MSD's tech be wrong AGAIN!!!!! Not twice! No these guys are experts!!!!!
    About 1/2 hour of internet research, (the internet makes us all smarter), I thought could the yellow wire be wrong? I hooked the distributor back to the MSD 7 box and the engine fired, (but still no start). Check all connections, fuel pump pressure good, what the hell is going on.
    After digging through the archives I find and old wiring diagram of an MSD timing control box (they still make it?) and my 7aL2 box. Guess what the timing control box has a yellow wire and guess where it is going, to the POINTS terminal on the 7aL2 box. Could it be, MSD wrong????? So I took a chance. What was the worst that could happen, I fry the Atomic EFI? Hooked up the yellow Atomic wire to the points terminal and guess what, STARTED, FIRED and IDLED!!!!!

I felt like I was in the clear.

Called MSD tech again this am 06/30 and spoke to a very nice young guy named Brett @x2808. He listened to my rambling and babbling about how correct I am and how the entire world is wrong. He assured me that I received wrong information and apologized. He said I was correct to connect the yellow Atomic wire to the points terminal, and yes I needed a by-pass regulator. Also confirmed a question about installing a fuel pressure check valve. I can't stand the bleed down and prime.

Brought my timing light home, set timing, vehicle fired and ran drove it around showed it off to an old guy racer named Joe Black.

Finally took my beautiful, patient wife Trish for a ride and she said I scared the crap out of her!!!

I would always recommed MSD products and I am very happy with my Fuelie Pro-Street '57 Chevy. back to being non-social - tcz0657@icloud.com

running great!!
    check valve helped, russell brand installed after ff toward engine, still primes a few seconds but faster. i may install install another check valve on the return side
    runs 1,000,000 times better than a toilet (carb)
    some cold start up issues, but not worried, iac counts seem high but will be checking in with msd