Thread: 4217 Pickup Width

Default 4217 Pickup Width

Can't get our 4217 to determine the pickup width of our magnets on our aluminum flywheel. We had it idling multiple times in the range of 800 to 1400 rpm for a period of five minutes at a time. We're using the Hall Effect 4154.It's on a Briggs & Stratton single cyl engine.002.JPG004.JPGPlease help.

Quote Originally Posted by pmartens View Post
    Can't get our 4217 to determine the pickup width of our magnets on our aluminum flywheel. We had it idling multiple times in the range of 800 to 1400 rpm for a period of five minutes at a time. We're using the Hall Effect 4154.It's on a Briggs & Stratton single cyl engine.Attachment 4365Attachment 4366Please help.
    Hello,
    In the monitor section of your software you will see "Pkupwt", while the engine is running between 800 and 1200 rpm there will be a value listed here. This will be your tab width. Enter this value in the software. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Bret

Quote Originally Posted by msdpstech1 View Post
    Hello,
    In the monitor section of your software you will see "Pkupwt", while the engine is running between 800 and 1200 rpm there will be a value listed here. This will be your tab width. Enter this value in the software. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Bret
    Bret, we did that and it reads zero while running it and the rpms are all over the place reading 50 to 60 thousand rpms! I am in Norwalk this weekend and I'll be heading over to your trailer Friday and show them a video of it running in the monitor section.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmartens View Post
    Bret, we did that and it reads zero while running it and the rpms are all over the place reading 50 to 60 thousand rpms! I am in Norwalk this weekend and I'll be heading over to your trailer Friday and show them a video of it running in the monitor section.
    Well it didn't work out at the Norwalk race, none of the guys at the trailer knew anything on the 4217. Bret, I'm attaching a video of our engine idling, hooked up to the computer in the monitor mode. Hopefully it will help.

After talking to Ray, he recommended removing the stainless steel screws I used to help hold the magnets in place (non magnetic)with steel ones(magnetic). Wouldn't you know. it worked! Kept the idle :thumbup:around 1200rpm and the pickup width popped right up.