Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idle surging, Running rich

Default Idle surging, Running rich

I live near Chicago, not sure of the readings haven't really payed attention, I believe the MAP was higher teens at idle. Have not tried another MAP yet. I entered a LQ9 engine. Engine fires up first with in a crank or so and starts with a low idle and catches it self pretty quick but that might be from being so rich. No back fires. I installed the cam dot to dot and seems like timing is dead on between the cam and crank sensors. Supplied IAT is installed in the intake right before the throttle body and seems to be accurate. Manual transmission.

I did drive the car the other day and started off with bucking horrible but after driving a few minutes it was smooth at lower speeds around 1200rpm which it never did with the old setup. The AFR always stayed rich around 12.8 cruising but idle did stay steady but was still very rich.

Started thinking about it for a while and Kooks installs there bungs very strange on my setup and the Wideband was hardly in the exhaust stream. Changed up the setup and used the supplied bung. Have not tested the car yet with the new setup because I want to defoul the plugs first. Fingers Crossed lol

Attached files

Wow, wish you woulda showed me that a long time ago! lol. I woulda suggested what you're doing now, oh well.

Dunno what the hell that crazy deep and angle is all about. Only thing i can think of it looks like crankcase evap connections.

I think the new bungs will make a HUGE difference !

I believe it was over compensating to try to get the readings it was looking for because it wasn't in the path of exhaust flow. Keep me posted man, Definitely wanna know how this turns out ! Haha

Well GOOD news this time, Defouled the plugs and got the wideband mounted, Fuel trims are PERFECT!. I was able to set the idle at 900 rpm and it stayed nice and steady with a 14.7 fuel trim. Have not drove it yet due to rain but it sounds great and my eyes no longer water lol.

I think ill have some fine tuning to do because it surges at idle when the cooling fans kick on but I think im in the right direction. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks for the help

Its a Christmas miracle ! Haha

Thats great man. Yeah, now you can play with the settings to get it where you want/need it.

The surge with the fan will depend on a couple things. Are the fans coming on at the same time? If so, change the temp setting of each fan to make em not come on at the same time to reduce the load. Wiring, battery condition, alternator capability. Etc.

Sooo? How's it been running? Get a chance to play with it anymore?

Yup drove it yesterday, Fuel trims looks great, drove pretty good. At times it starts surging coming to a idle so im sure I have to mess with some of the settings and needs more learning, seemed to help with bringing the idle up to 950 and increasing the idle timing to 9degrees.

Ok so its been awhile and have been having issues with the car stalling coming to a stop or fast clutch work in parking lots, also a lot of idle surge well tring to find set idle. I reinstalled the factory lq9 camshaft and the stalling stopped but would dip to 450ish rpm and catch it self.

I recently installed a new clutch and put the BTR cam back in and now has the same stalling issues and surging. It seems better when I set the idle afr to 15.2 but still bad. The iac counts are at 5ish. Performance cam setting. 12" vacuume. 58psi fuel pressure. Any ideas?

Have you tried the latest update? I along with a few others were having the same issue you are stating. My cam specs are not super far off of yours and I run mine on mild setting with no stall issues or surging now. I'm not sure the latest update is even on the website yet. I had an MSD tech send me one and I have sent it to someone else and it cleared up both of our issues. It changed the mild cam setting tables and also updated the IAC settings.

Quote Originally Posted by frostchevelle1 View Post
    Have you tried the latest update? I along with a few others were having the same issue you are stating. My cam specs are not super far off of yours and I run mine on mild setting with no stall issues or surging now. I'm not sure the latest update is even on the website yet. I had an MSD tech send me one and I have sent it to someone else and it cleared up both of our issues. It changed the mild cam setting tables and also updated the IAC settings.
    No i have not updated it, do you happen to have the files? Or know the updated version numbers? Thanks

Yes I have the file, if you give me an email address I can send it to you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast