Thread: 302ish surge

Default 302ish surge

'75 bronco daily driver and 4X4

fresh rebuild 150 miles not sure of compression

306 mild cam, aluminum heads, hydro boost brakes & headers

MSD 6AL

MSD 8579 dist, not locked (should I lock it)

Atomic EFI

Was hesitant on excel and I stole some #'s off of Bluesman on this forum

now it surges at idle (drops RPM to almost stall and revs up again) intermittently

holds idle pretty well in gear, revs up to 2000 when i put it in neutral

timing @ 11

#'s

Initial

disp 306

cyl 8

cam street stock

fuel pmp pam 38 psi

air pmp no

idle 900

rev limit 5800

timing control disabled

ADV

fans 180-190

AF targ idle 14.5

cruz 14.5

WOT 12.8

nit off

boost 11.9

ign timming 900

total RPM 2600

idl adv 15

total adv 36

vac adv 12

non ported

squirt 19%

power valve 24%

IAC 5-10

I don't know what most of these mean, and dist not locked I think a lot is not important right?

Default 302ish surge

It appears that you are trying to have the Atomic control timing. However, the distributor is not locked, and I'm assuming that an adjustable rotor is not installed. This is a bad combination.

Which wiring diagram did you follow when installing the system? Is the system wired so that the Atomic can control timing?

Default 302ish surge

the rotor is one piece, got it used. I believe it is wired up to run timing other than that. Should I try to lock it it out and get the rotor? I wanted to upgrade slowly bu that didn't work out...or can i set all those #s to 0.

Default 302ish surge

Please verify how the system is currently wired up.

Is the distributor connected to the throttle body or the MSD Ignition box?

Default 302ish surge

Looks like dist.it is wired to the 6AL box, purple and green all the way back. So timing control should not be an issue.

Default 302ish surge

Did you ever try running it at the default settings and if so how did it run?

Default 302ish surge

Islandrat wrote:
    Looks like dist.it is wired to the 6AL box, purple and green all the way back. So timing control should not be an issue.

In that case the Timing Control should be left on "DISABLED" and the IGNITION TIMING settings will not come into play.

What spring and bushing combination do you have in the distributor?

What is the Idle timing?

Default 302ish surge

All righty than. I assumed I started at default settings.... I don't think I did. Did a reset and drove 50 fwy and @ 25 through town and it is running WAAAY better. It has blue springs and bushings in dist. and timing is @11 and street stock is what I used for cam....Been busy so I did this today and will run it a few days and update. Again, thanx

Default 302ish surge

Sounds good. Please give us an update after you get a chance to drive it some more.