Thread: Works with Paxton supercharger?

Default Works with Paxton supercharger?

I did a search and it appears others have installed this with a Paxton but just want to be sure. I have a 1965 Mustang Fastback with a 289 and have had a Paxton supercharger Small Block Ford Carb system (1001839) sitting in a box for a couple years. Was pricing blow-through carbs and for the price I'm considering stepping up to EFI.

Weiand Stealth manifold

Windsor Jr heads

MSD distributor (8582)

MSD Ignition (6200)

Competition Magnum Cam. Duration at .050 Intake 224; Exhaust 224. Lobe separation 110

I believe the compression ratio is around 9:1

Toploader 4-speed

I'd be upgrading the fuel delivery to a Return system. Maybe with an aftermarket gas tank with internal fuel pump, baffles (Tanks, Inc).

Anything look concerning? Should it work well in this application? Thanks

I don't see anything in your setup that would stop me from bolting on an Atomic and holding on for the ride.

There are lots of articles out there praising the benefit of EFI TBs over BT carbs.

msdtech1955 Guest

yes, it will work out fine....

msdforms@msdperformance.com

Latitude: 31.730125
    Longitude: -106.29673

Attached files

Follow up question. Should I switch to the Atomic and the Paxton in one jump? Or would it be more prudent to get the Atomic installed and running well and then add the Paxton (which I know would entail resetting the Atomic)? I'm thinking it may make sense to do the latter for troubleshooting

Since most Blow Through setups all require major change to fuel delivery, it really doesn't make too much difference.

That said, setting up the Atomic first and having the car run well at least let's you know that every component works as designed. The settings are all logical (short the regulator boost connection) and should be fairly easy and quick to setup.

I just finished hooking up my Paxton supercharger . I will keep you posted when the weather breaks and I can drive it

msdtech1955 Guest

bigkid66 wrote:
    Follow up question. Should I switch to the Atomic and the Paxton in one jump? Or would it be more prudent to get the Atomic installed and running well and then add the Paxton (which I know would entail resetting the Atomic)? I'm thinking it may make sense to do the latter for troubleshooting

get the car running on the blower first ..

this way you wil have :

an idea on the idle and total timing

target idle rpm

and hopefully , you have an air fuel meter gauge ( autometer )

to get it close ...before the atomic install

also, are you going to control timing with the atomic?

msdforms@msdperformance.com

Latitude: 31.730125
    Longitude: -106.29673

my User ID has changed (previously bigkid66)

Getting the blower running first wasn't really an option as I didn't have access to a blow-thru carb. One of the reasons I went with the Atomic is because the cost of a blow-thru was so high that it made the cost of the Atomic more palatable. Anyway, I have the Atomic installed and it seems to be running well (only have a few miles on it). Going to switch to having it control timing this weekend.

So my next step will be to install the Paxton and I have a question for anyone who has gone before me. I'm running a return fuel system with in-tank pump and was wondering how to get that working with the Paxton. The Paxton has a carb/throttle body enclosure that is sealed when installed and only has one bulkhead fitting for fuel line entry. Do I need to have it customized with a similar port for the return line?

Same basic question with the wiring to the throttle body. How did you route into the carb enclosure? Thanks.