Thread: Help me spec my project- MSD EFI timing questions

Default Help me spec my project- MSD EFI timing questions

Greetings,

Pulling together a new project and looking for advice & info. on the fuel/ ignition system.

1950 Willys Overland Jeepster 4x4, custom frame, 35x12.50x15 mudders, Tranzilla T-56 trans., AA 4SP trans case, Dana 60's w e-lockers, etc.

Building a '02 iron 6.0L LQ4 block w L92 heads, forged rods & pistons, GMPP Hot cam & intake (Victor style), long tube headers, relocated coil pacs.......going LS power with a bit of retro look on the engine (so not going with the Atomic LS system).

Have decided to go with the Atomic EFI TBI on the new intake manifold and specing out the fuel system. Currently have non sumped 25 gal aluminum marine fuel tank installed and working from rear end forward. Considering retrofitting the fuel tank with the Aeroquip Phantom 200- I have the option to go return line and can easily do so.

Q. With the in-tank pump, is there an advantage to running the return line?

Looking to go with timing control via digital 6AL tied into the Atomic EFI TBI as per the MSD diagram.

Q. Does the digital 6AL come with a wiring harness to plug into the LS crank timing trigger and is the box the right choice for this application?

Q. How is the LS style distributor phasing handled- is this manipulated by the box or is there another procedure?

Am I missing anything obvious or suble? Suggestions, opinions?

Thanks,

1955 Panel

msdtech1955 Guest

Have decided to go with the Atomic EFI TBI on the new intake manifold and specing out the fuel system. Currently have non sumped 25 gal aluminum marine fuel tank installed and working from rear end forward. Considering retrofitting the fuel tank with the Aeroquip Phantom 200- I have the option to go return line and can easily do so.

Q. With the in-tank pump, is there an advantage to running the return line?

on that set-up ...I would stick to using the phantom kit and use it as a return .

http://aeromotiveinc.com/phantom-fuel-system/

Looking to go with timing control via digital 6AL tied into the Atomic EFI TBI as per the MSD diagram.

Q. Does the digital 6AL come with a wiring harness to plug into the LS crank timing trigger and is the box the right choice for this application?

well, with the ls series motors...there are only two options

1) use it with a ls-6012 ignition to control the timing. but, unfortunately...there is

no way to link it to the atomic efi to control timing .

http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=6899

2) convert it to a front mounted distributor...this way you could distributor,coil and 6 series ignition ..so the atomic could control the timing .

http://www.engineprofessional.com/downloads/ep10/EP04-2010_10-19.pdf

Q. How is the LS style distributor phasing handled- is this manipulated by the box or is there another procedure?

with the 6012..the coil per cylinder has no rotor phasing issues...

but, on the timing cover conversion ...you will need to use an adjustable rotor

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...tributors.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1aiR0nw3Tk

Am I missing anything obvious or suble? Suggestions, opinions?

msdforms@msdperformance.com

Latitude: 31.730125
    Longitude: -106.29673

Appreciate your comments on my proposed system. A couple of more questions to make sure I am up clear on this setup using the 6LS box (pn 6010 for the LQ4 24 tooth reluctor) & Atomic TBI.

Is there any downside with no being able to get the Atomic TBI to control the spark side of things?

Q. Since both the Atomic TBI & 6LS box come with their own wiring harnesses, am I correct that there will be no need for me to supply any factory EFI wiring harness and/or ECU?

Q. It looks like the Atomic TBI uses an integral MAP sensor while the 6LS requires a stock MAP sensor, but neither interfaces with each other. I assume since the dual MAP sensors run independently, there is no issue to be concerned about.

Q. Using the Aeroquip Phantom 200 (pn 18689), do you recommend using the Aeroquip fuel regulator (pn 13131) as opposed to the Atomic fuel regulator (pn 2938) Any significant difference between the two units?

1955Panel

msdtech1955 Guest

Is there any downside with no being able to get the Atomic TBI to control the spark side of things?

yes, the tbi will not be able to adjust timing based off on load ( like a modern newer car/truck does ) ..this will hinder performance ...yes, it has been done....just takes some patience and road testing to get that combo right.

Q. Since both the Atomic TBI & 6LS box come with their own wiring harnesses, am I correct that there will be no need for me to supply any factory EFI wiring harness and/or ECU?

that is correct.

Q. It looks like the Atomic TBI uses an integral MAP sensor while the 6LS requires a stock MAP sensor, but neither interfaces with each other. I assume since the dual MAP sensors run independently, there is no issue to be concerned about.

that's correct, the map on the 6010 will allow you to have vacuum and boost based timing curves.

Q. Using the Aeroquip Phantom 200 (pn 18689), do you recommend using the Aeroquip fuel regulator (pn 13131) as opposed to the Atomic fuel regulator (pn 293 Any significant difference between the two units?

either regulator will just fine.

msdtech1955 Guest

I know it is label 6530...but all our programmable 6series uses the same software . this is an example on how it works.

Attached files

Damn,

It would be sweet if the TBI could control the timing side of things. I realize that my proposed system is more about the engine compartment visuals, since I can easily use the LS product which will allow the full timing control and more optimally placed & controlled individual injectors.

Any thoughts on the the feasibility of timing control using the Atomic TBI & LS6012 from MSD's side of things. Seems like all the MSD components and sensors are there....is it a system capability issue vs. engineering /communication to tie the TBI & ignition together?

You might be surprised at the popularity of the LS based- retro appearance of things. The distributor conversion is pretty pricy, especially after purchasing all of the non stock EFI components. Also seems like a step in the wrong direction getting away from the individual coils.

Thanks for rolling with the conversation.......I think I may have to go with your LS package.

1955Panel