Thread: Wont idle in gear

Default Wont idle in gear

I have just installed the atomic efi on my zz383. My problem is that it idles great in park, but when i drop it down into gear it just stalls out. I have tried the mild and performance cam setting and have played with the throttle blade adjustments. I have tried having 5-10 IAC, 0 IAC with no luck. It did seem to do a little better with the mild cam setting.

Idle set to 850

Timing disabled

Eng Size 383

afr 14.6 across the board.

I have a TH350 with stock stall converter, I am wondering if that is the issue. I do have a 2400 stall at the house I could try, but it ran fine with my Quickfuel 783cfm.

Please give me some opinions.

I would suggest this is still a setup issue.

When it does stall in gear, do you hear a loud sucking sound before it dies?

You say you adjusted the IAC, Just to clarify, you are adjusting this with the car up to running temp and in gear correct?

fcsallen,

I am adjusting the IAC with the engine at operating temp, but not in gear because I cannot get it to idle long enough to adjust the IAC in gear. I do hear a loud sucking right before it stalls out.

Do I need to just open up the throttle blade more to get it to idle in gear, then go from there.

Also it seems to idle really high in park.

68camaro wrote:

fcsallen,

I am adjusting the IAC with the engine at operating temp, but not in gear because I cannot get it to idle long enough to adjust the IAC in gear. I do hear a loud sucking right before it stalls out.

Do I need to just open up the throttle blade more to get it to idle in gear, then go from there.

Also it seems to idle really high in park.

Reset the throttle blades to the fully closed position then open 1/2 to 1-1/2 turns open depending on the cam profile setting. This should be enough to keep it idling. Just be sure to have someone hold the brake for you while you adjust the throttle blades with the transmission in gear.

Thanks for the help guys. I got it working pretty well now, and i also had a small vacuum leak on my transmission line. I just wanted to thank yall for your help. Now its time to get the timing control setup.

No problem. If you have any, post some pictures of your ride.