Thread: circut protection

Default circut protection

just installing on ls1 in my 69 olds im wiring power module and dont see any fuse size requirements for bat 1 bat 2 and sw 12v are they internally protected? or what size fusing is needed thanks

What has any of the other msd atomic ls installers used for circuit protection if any?

I dont have anything on mine fused. I can say that the unit is internally protected from overloads though. I had a short on a coil pack wiring harness that was caused by me, the main unit would not communicate to either of the rails but I could hear a clicking sound every few seconds from the rail that had the short. This was the unit trying to reset itself after an over current event.

[list type=decimal]
    [*] I actually had my mad power module go bad within the first month of installing it idk if it was just bad luck or cause of no fuse protection. Im now running a fused distribution block for my two main powers and also have my fuel pump on a relay and haven't had any problems so far.
    [/list type=decimal]

A 40A fuse may be used for the install.

MSD Atomic EFI Support wrote:
    A 40A fuse may be used for the install.

You use the word "may" does that mean the system does have a internal protection and do you recommend using a relay for the fuel pump? If you do recommend a fuel pump relay how would you recommend the relay to be wired if using the PWM returnless style fuel pump.