Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo lq4 swap

Default Turbo lq4 swap

Hi im in th middle of a swap and need a lot of help as im considering buying the atomic ls, i'm putting a 2003 lq4 with a front mounted t70 turbo in my bird. Before i purchase a kit i want to know:

1. Can i just swap to an ls2 intake an run the ls2 kit on an lq4 without the truck adaptor kit?

2. Will this kit safely tune my car so it can be driven with the turbo?

3.can i use this and the tcm and completely eliminate my factory ecu?

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Default Turbo lq4 swap

ALSO! Will this kit work with a professional products ls2 intake manifold?

Default Turbo lq4 swap

Still me, still waiting on a reply and some help. If a tech or anyone with knowledge on this system reads this PLEASE HELP.

msdtech1955 Guest

Default Turbo lq4 swap

1. Yes, but he may need injector adapters depending on which ones
    he is running.

2. It depends on the boost level, but up to 10psi, it should.
    He may want to wait a couple of months to get the full tuning software if
    running more boost though.

3. Yes, once the Brainwave version of the trans controller comes
    out, it will plug right in.

4. We have not tested that one. If it doesn't work with the
    stock rails, probably not without modification and/or custom brackets. I
    would never recommend that anyone put an aluminum intake manifold on their
    street motor as the power loss can be significant due to high inlet air
    temps. It can also cause problems as the IAT should be mounted in the
    intake at that point because it has such a large influence on the temperature
    and engine damage can result on forced induction motors with incorrect IAT
    readings.

msdforms@msdperformance.com

Latitude: 31.730125
    Longitude: -106.29673

Default Turbo lq4 swap

Het soak isn't an issue other than the possibility of it messig with the iac, power wise the loss will be nonexistant. So if thats the case, this product can't handle more than 10lbs of boost?? So it isn't actually turbo friendly, just that it will survive if it has to? Also isn't that dependent on my turbo aswell? I assume 10lbs on a t70 is much different than a 108mm turbo correct? Can the kit stand both high or low impedence injectors? And is there no current way to run the atomic kit and a tcu with a 4l80e without a factory ecu? I was under the impression that this system was built to do this an the more i read into it the more it seems like it's just kind of winging it as it goes.. Can the atomic ls rail kit and the correct tcu run an lq4 with an ls2 top end and a 4l80e transmission, in a 98 trans am as a street car with my t70 turbo, or am i wasting my time?

Sorry to sound unpleasant, but it seems like every response on this page recieves shady answers that dont fully get to the point or trail off topic. I just want REAL support before i fire off a few grand into a fuel system/ecu only to fail.

Thank you in advance.

msdtech1955 Guest

Default Turbo lq4 swap

handling the boost ?

that depends on the size of the injectors and fuel pump at that point.

msdtech1955 Guest

Default Turbo lq4 swap

there no current way to run the atomic kit and a tcu with a 4l80e

without a factory ecu?

basically , you can use the atomic with the tcm with no problems..

it is two separate units...

msdtech1955 Guest

Default Turbo lq4 swap

I was under the impression that this system was built to do this an the more i read into it the more it seems like it's just kind of winging it as it goes.. Can the atomic ls rail kit and the correct tcu run an lq4 with an ls2 top end and a 4l80e transmission, in a 98 trans am as a street car with my t70 turbo, or am i wasting my time?

yes it can, but you have to understand , you will have to invest in injectors ( bigger) and a puel pump ( like a aeromotive )

plus, there is no set timing curves for that combo...which means, you will have to invest some time tuning it...

msdtech1955 Guest

Default Turbo lq4 swap

how far along is this build?

Default Turbo lq4 swap

Can i get some direct answers, or be referred to someone that can give me them? I've been very direct with my questions and i keep getting shady lsortof/maybe" answers. I know i need bigger injectors and a bigger all around fuel system, wasn't asking that. I pointed out that the size of the turbo will vary how much cfm is produced and each point of boost, correct? Like a 108mm turbo at 10lbs is producing more than a 70mm at 10, if it wasn't no one would run such a large turbo. Now i'm asking when you say it can handle "10 psi" what is that in reference to? Because now with that said if i run 10 on a 108mm turbo and your system can't handle it then you just dorected me in the wrong direction... And also, you're telling me i have to map and tunethe system myself, not totally a big deal, but i bought it because it was a "self tuning" system and a good option opposed to repinning and tuning a factory ecm. I can appreciate the tech support and all, but every post on this forum you answer get's either a link somewhere else, a question asked in return, IGNORED, or responded with "call mike" if he doesn't come in and bail you out first. Believe me, i don't mean to sound ungrateful, but for the price tag attached to the equipment and the company's namesake alone, i would hope for better service. Now even though my questions unanswered, i'll answer yours. Mysettup is a 6.0 lq4, stroked and bored to a 408ci motor, with for now a simple t70 turbonetics turbo front mounted in a 98 trans am running your software with the atomic rail kit. I plan on running an ls2/3 style intake to avoid needing the seperate injector adaptors seeing as i need an intake anyway. I also plan on running a fuel system capable of 1000+hp and next season plan on moving to a very, very large turbo. I'm also considering running nitrous to spool said large turbo off the line next year. Now if you can't help me, please either point me to someone who can, or get me on whatever tech team does r+d for the atomic kit's seeig as no one can help me achieve this, yet it happens all the time on a FACTORY pcm with a re-tune... Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast