Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine dies after releasing gas pedal.

Default Engine dies after releasing gas pedal.

I had the same problem as all you guys are having! The wires going to the tps are in the incorrect pin locations. It's a manufacturing issue. Two of the 3 wires on the tps connector were swapped causing it to show incorrect voltage at 0% throttle. Have msd send you a diagram of the exact pinout location for each sensors connectors. That was my problem and switching around the blue and orange wires is what ended up being the issue. Honestly this efi only works good on WOT, in my opinion it's a POS as far as quick acceleration response and off the line power. I've had this thing on the dyno for hours and it has never made more power than the factory tuned ecu and has always had a stumble off the line during normal driving.

Trace your wires and make sure there all in the correct pin locations.

JesseA1supercars wrote:

Well i fixed the WOT. now it gives me the 1%-100%. But car still keeps stalling on me.

I noticed that the tps% when engine is running surging it reads 0%-1%. is that normal? When i give it gas, i have to slowly release the gas pedal for it not to shut off on me automatically but still surges a bit. Have also tried opening the throttle body more by adjusting the screw but wont seem to help it.

This is typical with many aftermarket throttle bodies. The throttle blade / shaft tends to flex causing the TPS to vary a bit at idle.

Try adjusting the throttle screw so the blade does not shut completely.

If this doesn't take care of it, you may need to try another throttle body.

Hot Rod Lenny wrote:

I had the same problem as all you guys are having! The wires going to the tps are in the incorrect pin locations. It's a manufacturing issue. Two of the 3 wires on the tps connector were swapped causing it to show incorrect voltage at 0% throttle. Have msd send you a diagram of the exact pinout location for each sensors connectors. That was my problem and switching around the blue and orange wires is what ended up being the issue. Honestly this efi only works good on WOT, in my opinion it's a POS as far as quick acceleration response and off the line power. I've had this thing on the dyno for hours and it has never made more power than the factory tuned ecu and has always had a stumble off the line during normal driving.

Trace your wires and make sure there all in the correct pin locations.

Im telling you.... I had the exact issue, if the 5v ref and ground wires happen to be swapped in the TPS connector like mine was from a manufacturing error this will cause the sensor to still partially work but with the those two wires swapped it causes a slight feedback when connected and engine running. Before i found the wiring issue with the key on engine off it would show 1-2 % when throttle closed and 100% at WOT but the instant i started the engine it would suddenly show 3-4 % at idle when it was just showing 1% seconds before i started the engine, which caused an up and down surging idle and when looking at the fuel map monitor it was bouncing from idle to part and the IAC was constantly opening and closing trying to compensate for the 3% tps reading which was just gound feedback from engine running and the two tps wires in the wrong pin locations.

Bottom line.... get a pinout diagram of the tps and verify the correct wire colors coorespond to the proper locations. Somehow mine were swapped during manufacturing of the harness. MSD's Tech support tried everything with me to resolve this issue and then they happened to ask me to check the connector wiring, and wala, problem solved.

Ok I have just noticed my TPS is only reading 0-87% I thought it was the carpet in the way but it wasn't. Same reading even with the cable removed? So the atomic is never reading WOT.

Can you please attach the correct pin out diagram for the tps sensor like the guy above mentioned. Would be good to double check the wiring.

I just checked between;

black & blue wire, got 5.0v @ 0 & 87% throttle

Black & red wire, got 2.0v @ 0% & 4.1v @ 87% throttle

Does my tps pinout need changing, would this be why I'm not reading past 87%?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123