Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sounds like timing is off at start up

Default Sounds like timing is off at start up

Trouble shooting MSD Atomic with lockout timing:
    Christopher West

so I Just check my rotor and it is 15* counter clockwise. so I should have it the other way?

Christopher West

Chris, It can be slightly confusing so I'll rephrase it. If you grab the base of the phaseable rotor with one hand, grab the adjustable top portion with the other hand and turn it OPPOSITE your normal distributor rotation.

Your normal "FORD" rotation is counter clockwise, so you will want to rotate the top of the rotor 15* clockwise

Next, recheck your timing in the lock out screen on the handheld to 15* on your timing marks

Let us know...

I could be thinking too much into it.

When the rotor is zeroed out when I have the mark of 15* on the dampner . Then will turn the rotor back to its 15*. Does that mean when I start the car the dampner will be at 0* when I verify it? Or do I turn the distributor until the light hits the 15* on the dampner. Sorry if this sounds painful

Christopher West

Chris, I put this picture together to help make it easy. This one is currently set up for Chevy, however you can see where the tab should be set for Ford. Can you 1st verify your rotor is set up for "Ford"?

Attached files

Okay sweet I did that right. Now when i do the timing on the dampner should it be timed on the 15* mark or zero sense the rotor is already at 15*
    Christopher West

When you start the engine, have the handheld in the timing lock out screen and verify with a timing light that the balancer marks are 15* BTDC. If not, turn the distributor til it is and lock it down. Then when you leave the lock out screen on your handheld, the Atomic takes over controlling your timing with your settings.

Chris, I just had a chance to watch your YouTube video. Nice looking car and the engine sounds healthy. It's too challenging to see your handheld readings in the video however you are mentioning after a few adjustments on your primary and secondary blades that your warm IAC count is still "0".

Go ahead and continue to close the blades equally like you were checking each time until you gain an IAC count reading. Shoot for 5 to 10 and then let us know what your idle target is set at as well as what the engine is idling at on your handheld. If it's high and you have the idle taget and timing still separated by 100rpm's, reduce both by 100rpm's and let us know the idle response. We should be able to get this engine idle down to 800 to 850.

example... You have the idle target set at 900 and the timing coming in at 1000 and the engine idles 1125. Then lower your idle target to 800 and your timing to 900 and let us know how the engine reacts. If it now idles at 1025, lower them both again to see how it responds.

thanks. I just finished the return system and have the pressure at 47 at the non- pwm w/ reg. And it idles smoothly at 800 to 900. And my iac count is at 15. Anytime I bring it down from that the car start to surge from 500 to 800. So I just left it at 15. My intial rpm is 800 and timing is at 900. Now what is the difference between pwm w/ reg vs non-pwm w/ reg
    Christopher West

You did plum it to the TBI, then to the regulator, then back to the tank, correct? If you did, run it as non PWM w/regulator

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast