Thread: 363 Roots Supercharged Small Block Ford

Default 363 Roots Supercharged Small Block Ford

I was hoping to upgrade to the Atomic EFI throttle body system on my 84 Mustang. I'm running a 363 stroked small block ford with a Weiand 177 roots supercharger. My engine has the potential to create around 600 hp.

I was reading the installation instructions and on page 4 it reads that the Atomic EFI is limited to 525 horsepower with forced induction systems. Is this true with a draw through supercharger? Why does the max HP supported drop from 625 to 525?

The BSFC of a motor increases with forced induction/nitrous. You have to run a richer air fuel ratio (more fuel per part of air) to keep detonation from occurring from excess heat and other factors. The amount of air determines (for the most part) how much horsepower you will actually make. Since you are putting in more fuel for every part of air (say 11.8 instead of 12.8AFR) you lose that amount of fueling capability. That extra fuel went to cooling the pistons and preventing detonation instead of making power.

If you ran a lean AFR under boost, you could say that the rating was the same. The problem with that is that you will melt your pistons in a matter of seconds.

More injectors are needed for those with higher horsepower engines. Are there any plans to come out with a throttle body with more injectors in the future?

I know I saw pictures of a dual Atomic on top of a roots blower around here somewhere.

Dual throttle bodys would be nice, but the Weiand 174 only has a spot for 1 carb. Fast 2.0 has a throttle body with 8 injectors, but they don't have the logic or map sensor for boost. It would be nice if the Atomic EFI had 8 injectors for high horsepower applications.

msdtech1955 Guest

fcsallan wrote:
    I know I saw pictures of a dual Atomic on top of a roots blower around here somewhere.

i know nothing....hhehehehe.

msdforms@msdperformance.com

Latitude: 31.730125
    Longitude: -106.29673

Anything in development worth waiting for? I can run the carb for a while until it is...

msdtech1955 Guest

fcsallan...call me today.

msdtech1955 Guest

1984Convert wrote:
    Anything in development worth waiting for? I can run the carb for a while until it is...

still working on it.

Thanks, that sounds promising. Keep me posted. I'd be glad to help with the beta testing if needed.