Thread: Alternator

Default Alternator

Hi,

Almost ready to start up, just one last wire.... Do I have to connect the alternator wire?

My alternator is a one wire which came with the vintage air front runner LS, it does not have anywhere to plug in the connector coming from the MSD fuel rail, if this is necessary can it be connected directly to the alt output stud? Oh one more thing, I have not hooked up the speed ref as the vss wires are run from my t56 magnum to a Dakota dash, could I have tapped off them to supply the msd with a signal? Thought this might have messed up the signal to the dash and your instructions state speed ref is optional, will I end up with any throttle to idle problems when driving?

Thanks,

Jonny

msdtech1955 Guest

Default Alternator

Almost ready to start up, just one last wire.... Do I have to connect the alternator wire?

My alternator is a one wire which came with the vintage air front runner LS, it does not have anywhere to plug in the connector coming from the MSD fuel rail, if this is necessary can it be connected directly to the alt output stud?

all youhave to do, is get battery voltage to that stud.

Oh one more thing, I have not hooked up the speed ref as the vss wires are run from my t56 magnum to a Dakota dash, could I have tapped off them to supply the msd with a signal?

yes, you will be using that adaptor from dakota digital ( 3 pi connector on transmission ) to the interface box under your dash.

Thought this might have messed up the signal to the dash and your instructions state speed ref is optional, will I end up with any throttle to idle problems when driving?

not at all.

msdforms@msdperformance.com

Latitude: 31.730125
    Longitude: -106.29673

Default Alternator

MSDTech1955 wrote:

My alternator is a one wire which came with the vintage air front runner LS, it does not have anywhere to plug in the connector coming from the MSD fuel rail, if this is necessary can it be connected directly to the alt output stud?

all youhave to do, is get battery voltage to that stud.

SO DO I NEED TO CONNECT YOUR ALTERNATOR WIRE TO MY ALT STUD?

Oh one more thing, I have not hooked up the speed ref as the vss wires are run from my t56 magnum to a Dakota dash, could I have tapped off them to supply the msd with a signal?

yes, you will be using that adaptor from dakota digital ( 3 pi connector on transmission ) to the interface box under your dash.

YES I HAVE ALREADY CONNECTED FROM TRANS TO DAKOTA BOX, CAN I (OR SHOULD I) SPLIT OFF THOSE SAME WIRES TO CONNECT TO THE MSD SPEED REF?

Thought this might have messed up the signal to the dash and your instructions state speed ref is optional, will I end up with any throttle to idle problems when driving?

not at all.

msdforms@msdperformance.com

Latitude: 31.730125
    Longitude: -106.29673

Default Alternator

No, you do not need to connect our alternator wire to your one wire alternator. It is just there to flash the field and turn on an OEM alternator and would not be used at all on a one wire alternator.

You can try to split the two wires from the transmission to our two wires (so they run to the LS ECU as well as the Dakota dash). Just do this temporarily at first, as it could cause interference with the dash or our speed reading and you may need to disconnect it.

If any noise (bounce) is noticed, you can disconnect the speed sensor from our ECU. It isn't required, but will make the return to idle a little smoother.

Default Alternator

Excellent, thanks for the reply Mike. I will give it a try