Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would not restart

Default Would not restart

Joe from MSD support called yesterday.

They have not been able to find any trouble with the throttle body, even on the dyno run.

After some discussion of the problem he is going to have them put it back on the dyno and concentrate on the idle IAC and hot restart issues rather than just a normal dyno run.

He suggested that if they do not find anything I may need to get an MSD distributor and let the Atomic control timing. Also says to experiment with the vacuum advance line to see if (and how) ported vacuum is affecting idle.

He says that running fine with a carb may just be masking another problem that the more sensitive Atomic is picking up on and trying to compensate with the elevated IAC.

So, still waiting for the throttle body to return from MSD.

As always, all constructive feedback from forum members is appreciated!

Which torque converter are you using?

Torque converter is a B&M Holeshot 2400.

My 410 wont restart when hot either. There is nothing wrong with my stuff. It is their Atomic. The generic program is not suited well for an FE. I have tried all the timing things and all the advance things. It simply isnt programmed correctly.

The running is ok. It is simply a hot restart nightmare. I have the return system (vented). It is perfect as well. Had Mass Flo before. No problem with starting. I just didnt like all the wireing. Makes it impossible to drive now. Cant get fuel. Cant be sitting at the gas station for an hour or so twiddling my thumbs, until the thing decides to spark! I will try a test tonight with either and see what happens. Ill let you know.

I was having hot start issue's too, Don't know how old your battery is ,,, I got a new battery and no more problems,

428cobrastang wrote:
    Torque converter is a B&M Holeshot 2400.

What is the stall speed of this converter?

TazTruk wrote:
    I was having hot start issue's too, Don't know how old your battery is ,,, I got a new battery and no more problems,

Brand new battery. I have determined that after like 10-12 primes it will sputter to life. I think the prime fuel shot is literally evaporating in the manifold. 428cobrastang may understand this as our manifolds are much larger than most with exceptionally long runners.

Didnt try the Ether shot. That will confirm my suspicion. It has spark too btw.

Again, had no issue with the Mass Flo EFI. Not hijacking this thread. Having identical trouble.

UNVme wrote:

TazTruk wrote:

Brand new battery. I have determined that after like 10-12 primes it will sputter to life. I think the prime fuel shot is literally evaporating in the manifold. 428cobrastang may understand this as our manifolds are much larger than most with exceptionally long runners.

Didnt try the Ether shot. That will confirm my suspicion. It has spark too btw.

Again, had no issue with the Mass Flo EFI. Not hijacking this thread. Having identical trouble.

UNV,

I believe 428cobra has an Edlebrock Performer dual plane intake.

If you are using a tunnel ram or air gap intake the Atomic may not see enough vacuum to operate properly at idle. It's going to ask for more idle rpm to get that vacuum.

You are correct, it is an Edelbrock performer RPM dual plane intake.

I have never attempted to determine the stall speed of the converter.

I do not have a trans-brake to allow me to get a true reading so I will have to try brake stall first and then will try to get a flash stall. I will post these results when I get them.

I should have mentioned that as part of Ray's trouble shooting when the engine would not start, a shot of ether fired it right up! So spark is great, just no fuel...

428cobrastang,

The throttle body should be getting ready to ship back to you today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast