Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RPM drop rapidly when coming to a stop and engine wants to stall or does stall, after 116 Update

Default RPM drop rapidly when coming to a stop and engine wants to stall or does stall, after 116 Update

MSDTech i just took a drive and monitored my Atomic Dash. When I start the car up my IAC is around 25-18 up and down, when it warms up it goes into the low teens or even 0. Now when cruising on the HWY my IAC remains a steady 10. When i let off the gas the IAC drops lower to 1 then when i come to a traffic light it goes to zero and this remains that way as i keep driving the car. Does any of this info help?

Default RPM drop rapidly when coming to a stop and engine wants to stall or does stall, after 116 Update

Not using timing control. Have adjusted the throttle blades. My problem starts as soon i brake bit harder. Rpm drop for a second and engine almost stall. Few times it has stall and i have lost my power brakes and steering.

Mine is very similar to 351guy's problem. No timing control, return system with regulator.

When I am cruising at highway speeds and exit the freeway if I don't downshift to keep the rpms up and the motor running it dies.

It is always at cruising speed when coming to a stop- 50% of the time it will catch after a low rpm dip (say around 350-400rpm) but the other half of the time it dies out.

I've even pushed in the clutch and coasted and as soon as the clutch is in the rpms fall and it dies.

I thought maybe I was inbetween cam specs but neither kept the engine from dying although when I went up to the "mild" setting it seemed to happen more frequently than in the street/stock setting.

Do you have the regulator plumbed before or after the throttle body? Before would be one line going to the throttle body and after would be one to the throttle body and the other line from the throttle body to the regulator, than the return.

351guy wrote:
    MSDTech i just took a drive and monitored my Atomic Dash. When I start the car up my IAC is around 25-18 up and down, when it warms up it goes into the low teens or even 0. Now when cruising on the HWY my IAC remains a steady 10. When i let off the gas the IAC drops lower to 1 then when i come to a traffic light it goes to zero and this remains that way as i keep driving the car. Does any of this info help?

This describes normal operation of the IAC. Just after start-up the IAC will go up (similar to cold idle on a carb), it will then settle down as the rpm comes down.

The IAC is a follower, it will also go up as the throttle is opened.

Now i using Atomic timing control , no help.. still stalling. I have

8386 - MSD
    Pro-Billet Ready-To-Run Distributors and

84211 - MSD Distributor Rotors. Also i cant chance rpm from handheld and when IAC numbers look ok idle is ower 1000 rpm.

MSD Atomic EFI Support wrote:

351guy wrote:

This describes normal operation of the IAC. Just after start-up the IAC will go up (similar to cold idle on a carb), it will then settle down as the rpm comes down.

The IAC is a follower, it will also go up as the throttle is opened.

Okay so if that is normal IAC operation then what is causing the stall? Is it fuel pump related? What is the computer thinking when there is a sudden RPM drop like when you push in the clutch?

have anyone try dashpot for examble http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-11-4/

Installed this system on my 71 bronco/302/manual 4 spd, and am having the same stalling issue. Its as if the system just cuts out. I see this same problem in several posts but have not seen any of the techs give an answer that seems to fix anyones problem. Have you come up with any answers, yourself or from MSD?

been some time and still no solid answer or help from MSD via the forum or telephone

I am now wondering if when someone wrecks their car over this issue that they will offer some support. At least let us know that your looking into it, yes like everyone who posted in this thread it seems that the fuel or computer communication is off, this clearly can be fixed with a software calibration.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast