Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RPM drop rapidly when coming to a stop and engine wants to stall or does stall, after 116 Update

Default RPM drop rapidly when coming to a stop and engine wants to stall or does stall, after 116 Update

I have been driving my car more often since i have off from work for a few weeks and this issue is really starting to worry me because the engine will stall or sound like it wants to stall and il loose steering and brakes

the engine runs perfect this symptom only happens when i am driving on the highway for a while and get off the exit i slow down or downshift and the engine just drops really fast and almost wants to die if i dont gas it.

Why is the engine IDLE dropping so quickly? What adjustments can i make to compensate for this? with the 116 update the engine idles smoother and much lower in the RPM that it ever did with the earlier 114 update. I raised my RPM 150 more but this did not help. I am not using timing control yet. I have not touched power enrichment setting from the factory setting, What can i do?

Default RPM drop rapidly when coming to a stop and engine wants to stall or does stall, after 116 Update

It sounds like the IAC may be too high at idle; the IAC may not have enough room to compensate for a sudden RPM drop.

If this is an automatic trans, make sure to adjust the throttle blades with the trans in drive at operating temp.

MSD Atomic EFI Support wrote:

It sounds like the IAC may be too high at idle; the IAC may not have enough room to compensate for a sudden RPM drop.

If this is an automatic trans, make sure to adjust the throttle blades with the trans in drive at operating temp.

Hi my IAC at idle is anywhere from 0 to 5 and the car runs great, what suggestions can you offer me to try out regarding an adjustment that will correct this? Should i reset the throttle blades with the car in gear? my car is a manual transmission so it is hard to have it in gear and adjust.

I have this same problem on my 302 almost exactly- manual tranny, no timing control, and it runs great until it dies just as 351guy stated.

I've adjusted the throttle blades 100 times, raised the idle, changed the came from street/stock to mild and nothing works.

Same problem here 383/atomatic..

guys do you also have the 116 Update with the same issues?I adjusted the blades as well nothing helps. MSD please address our issues as this can pose a safety issue if we loose power brakes and steering. so frustrating.

scotty Guest

I see a trend here.

My car died with the same symptoms this weekend. Heading home from a car show. Running perfectly. Stopped at a crossroad - engine dies...

IAC set to 15 per instructions.

Ignition at 12 deg btdc at idle with no ignition control yet.

Box stock 428 CobraJet.

Running newest FW.

Scott

MSD can you please help us here as this is not an isolated issue. Everything about the system is great but little issues as we are describing are becoming big issues as we use our cars more often. We need a software fix for this, it is almost as if the system has a lag in responding to the fuel pumps comands

Question for those above:

Is the Atomic set up to control timing?

Is the engine stalling after engine braking and suddenly stabbing the clutch?

MSD Atomic EFI Support wrote:

Question for those above:

Is the Atomic set up to control timing?

Is the engine stalling after engine braking and suddenly stabbing the clutch?

I am not using timing control as of now because i wanted to make sure all kinks worked prior so i wouldnt be chasing things down. My engine will drop RPM quickly as soon as i pull my car off the highway exit and drop a gear or even drop gear in Nuetral and roll to a stop or let off the gas pedal after crusing at 60MPH, get off exiti, slow down to 20MPH then it happens, its like a sudden drop and if i goose the gas pedal quick i can keep it alive but a few times i couldnt react fast enough and i lost my power brakes and steering and almost hit someone in front of me. It is as if the fuel pump just dies or something, there is some sort of delay i think from the brain of the system and what its telling the pump to do. If i drive my car on local streets at speeds of 5-40mph stop and go red lights etc the car is fine, its when i take it on the highway and get up to higher speeds for longer cruises it acts up as the engine keeps a steady 3-4k RPM on the highway where as local city driving the RPM isnt kept at a steady rate. Suggestions? Have your software engineers looked into this for a possible update?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast