Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: RPM drop rapidly when coming to a stop and engine wants to stall or does stall, after 116 Update

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    My car has not had further trouble with the stalling coming to a stop since I reworked the IAC settings. I was still having trouble with stalling after some light throttle when parking or pulling into the garage. I bumped up the timing at idle and that too is better now.

I read about the dual plane vs single plane manifold theory too and since I'm running a dual plane (Edlebrock Perfomer Air Gap)I decided to add a 1/2' open spacer to see what it would do. I cant say I notice any significant difference so far, but it did solve my air cleaner to distributor clearance problem so at least that is a win. I did notice though that the base gasket that is supplied by MSD was an open type, so there may be something to this.
    I'm running a 1/2" spacer for the exact same reason, to get my air cleaner to clear the top of the distributor. I'll be cutting my spacer open tomorrow morning and I'm going to record my current settings and reset the computer back to factory and start fresh from there. Maybe take it out for a 50-80 mile cruise tomorrow and Sunday mornings to see how it does...

Just FYI: I've only got about 20 miles on the car right now but I've got a dual plane intake on mine. Using a 1/2" spacer between the top of the intake and the throttle body I cut the center open so that both planes could draw from the throttle body and it seems to have cleaned up all of my running issues! As I get more miles on the car I'll reply again but so far it hasn't hiccuped or done anything goofy yet. It idles perfect on initial start and comes right down to a nice steady idle now coming up to lights and off freeway off ramps. It's a very noticeable improvement.

I just finished my throttle blade adjustment, as in two hours ago. I went on a drive with lots of stop signs. It did not die once! It was harder than I thought to do this adjustment. Just time consuming. This improved quality a bit.

I have had this problem from the very day I first installed this,(4 years ago?) as of yet it has not been fixed. MSD tech is no help at all. Basically get the feeling they think I am not capable of following their directions. Or, they know what the problem is but the hardware has a design flaw that is not fixable. They will not admit to this due to that would lead to a law suit. All we can do is let everyone know NOT to purchase this crap and hopefully that will take it off the market. MSD products are not what they used to be as far as quality goes.

I have never used an Atomic EFI, so I don't know if it can datalog. If so, datalog the event. Then you need to figure out what it is not getting, fuel, air or spark. It needs all three or it will stall. Most times it's fuel. Look at where it's going in the fuel table as it decelerates and give it more fuel in this area.

I have a 1978 Ford Bronco. I had the 400 modified bored and rebuilt and installed headers. I replaced the Accel distributor with a GM HEI distributor built for a Ford 400. Anyway, I've had the stall when stopping/turning since I installed the Atomic three years ago. I read this thread and did not feel much hope in solving the problem. However, I have something for the group to try. Since I had the 400 bored out I figure the displacement is maybe 440 instead of 400. I changed the displacement setting to 427. I'm thinking the displacement settings are an array of map curves. For now it has solved the stall. It still wants to idle surge at running temperature though. I still have to adjust the idle and I have to wait for the engine to reach running temperature to smooth out some. Once warmed up the RPM surges from 900 to 1100 with the preferred idle set at 850. I'm still adjusting the idle very slowly. Maybe 3° of turn at each startup. The good news, no more stalling, so far.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567