Thread: 12V Switched

Default 12V Switched

I'm gonna use my old elec choke hot wire for my 12v switched with meter on it while cranking it drops to 9-10v. Is this ok? Is there a better option? I'm just trying to avoid any issues down the road.

Thx

Default 12v switched

For me the answer would be no. The cranking voltage is what is supplying the voltage to your coil when you try to start your car. I would think that might just be an important time to have good supply.

Default 12v switched

My hei has its own 12v supply, does the module need the steady 12v? I tried the ign plug from fuse box and it is 12v that drops while cranking. We're else can I get it from?

Default 12v switched

Typically you would use the same power source as your HEI.

Default 12v switched

Msd tech says the 12v from the old choke coil with the drop to 9-10v during cranking is fine and will not cause a problem for the modules 12v switched power supply.

Default 12v switched

My Keyed source drops on crankning as long as it does not go below 8V I found that every thing works good

I just finished install on my '84 El Camino 350/290 HP. I tapped in to the factory ECU power (pink with black stripe) by passengers side kick panel. This is the proper 12V during cranking & run. It's also fused already.

Quote Originally Posted by dmstainless View Post
    I'm gonna use my old elec choke hot wire for my 12v switched with meter on it while cranking it drops to 9-10v. Is this ok? Is there a better option? I'm just trying to avoid any issues down the road.
    Switched 12V will always drop while cranking, depends on battery cranking amps as to what it drops to.
    Some cars drop to 9s and still start normally, most these days in the 10s.
    Switched 12V will not stay at 12V while cranking, period. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by 84calelky View Post
    I just finished install on my '84 El Camino 350/290 HP. I tapped in to the factory ECU power (pink with black stripe) by passengers side kick panel. This is the proper 12V during cranking & run. It's also fused already.
    It should work as long as the Atomic system is receiving 10V or more on that lead at Start & Run on the key switch, and shuts off when the key is turned off.
    MSD Tech Support
    915-855-7123