Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What settings will stop my car from running so rich and making exhaust backfire pops?

1. Default What settings will stop my car from running so rich and making exhaust backfire pops?

well how else where you suppose to check that !!!!!! sometimes you have to pry yourself off the key board or lazy boy...........get out there and look at it ....and solve the problem.

i have delt with tech on and off . And i'm glad they are here to help .

GOOD JOB MSD TECH, Keep bringing us new product to fall in love with.

Default What settings will stop my car from running so rich and making exhaust backfire pops?

Joe in tech is sending me another IAC sensor and told me how to put mine back together and do more testing. I did and now i am getting an IAC reading below 10 at idle but the car still has the stumbling idle issue after i drive it hard and let off, the engine slows down once it hits 1000RPM it dips below my 850 target, stumbles very slight and then gradually picks up to my targets 850. its that intermittent delay that is driving me crazy. my cam specs arent over the top, lobe separation is 110, my duration at .050 on the intake is 230 and on the exhaust its 236. I have experimented with the cam settings and mild seems to give me the best performance. My Atomic Dash every time the throttle stumbles is giving me a TPS error. my blades open perfectly together and adjusted both front and rear screws the best it can get to get a decent idle and not shut the engine down. im totally lost with this one because the car performs great, doesnt stall and shut down but its that brief delay when the engine RPM drops past 1000 that is driving me nuts.

Default What settings will stop my car from running so rich and making exhaust backfire pops?

I am having the same idle issue. It seems like there is a delay on the idle response. Set at 850 and will drop to 500-600 before it steadies back out at 850. It would be nice if MSD tech would jump in and explain what is going on with the idle issue.

mjh70 wrote:

I am having the same idle issue. It seems like there is a delay on the idle response. Set at 850 and will drop to 500-600 before it steadies back out at 850. It would be nice if MSD tech would jump in and explain what is going on with the idle issue.

after sifting through a number of forums it seems to be a common issue for users. I really hope msd has a solutiuon because this kit was not cheap and i was expecting it to be more user friendly in its set up without these little glitches. its a throttle signal that seems messed up in the software calibrations that end users can not adjust.

il report back further as more details come through.

Hi, you might want to check your pump squirt setting. I had a similar

hesitation issue which I resolved by lowering the setting from the out

of the box 25% down to 15%.

vette wrote:

Hi, you might want to check your pump squirt setting. I had a similar

hesitation issue which I resolved by lowering the setting from the out

of the box 25% down to 15%.

reducing the pump squirt was one of the first things i tried with absolutely no change in this hesitation dip. just a very frustrating bug that needs to be worked out

The target idle rpm may be a little too low for the cam installed. Bring up the target idle rpm a bit.

You mentioned that the rear blades were not adjusted, has this been corrected?

The front and rear blades should be adjusted together (same number of turns each). It is normal for the front to open just ahead of the rear, but they should travel together from there.

One way to speed up the learning process is to take it out on an open road and do some repeated accel and decel cycles. This was suggested by one of the R&D guys working on this project.

MSD Atomic EFI Support wrote:

The target idle rpm may be a little too low for the cam installed. Bring up the target idle rpm a bit.

You mentioned that the rear blades were not adjusted, has this been corrected?

The front and rear blades should be adjusted together (same number of turns each). It is normal for the front to open just ahead of the rear, but they should travel together from there.

One way to speed up the learning process is to take it out on an open road and do some repeated accel and decel cycles. This was suggested by one of the R&D guys working on this project.

thanks for the input, i did move the target RPM up to 1000 and that didnt change anything, the car will decel slow down and go dip down below that area and then back up. my front and rear blades are adjusted and the car performs awesome it appears to be a software and TPS issue where its missing the target or something. is there any way I can do a rest on the calibration and start over? this is driving me crazy

did this get fixed? Im having the same problem but it will stall out on stops about a tenth of the time

351guy,

To reset the system:

MAIN MENU

- DISPLAY SETUP

- SET ATOMIC DEFAULTS

This will reset any learning the system has done up to this point and the programmed settings.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast