Thread: Distributor 8598 - Gear 85833

Default Distributor 8598 - Gear 85833

Hi,
    I have 2 questions if you don't mind:

1- I want to know if Distributor 8598 comes with gear #85833 from the box.

Additionally, I need to confirm that the gear 85833 is indeed a Melonized steel gear. (my austempered ductile iron Hydraulic roller comp cams camshaft calls for a Melonized gear)

The item description on your website states the following:

85833: Melonite QPQ coated reduces friction and initial wear.

2- Am I safe to say that 85833 is in fact a Melonized gear or I am confusing terminology here?

Thanks a lot.

msdtech1955 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 70boss351 View Post
    Hi,
    I have 2 questions if you don't mind:

1- I want to know if Distributor 8598 comes with gear #85833 from the box.

Additionally, I need to confirm that the gear 85833 is indeed a Melonized steel gear. (my austempered ductile iron Hydraulic roller comp cams camshaft calls for a Melonized gear)
    the 8598 302 distributor comes with a steel gear commonly used on hydraulic roller camshafts ( comp -factory e-303 ..etc. ..it will have a smooth machine finish around where the roll pin goes.

2- Am I safe to say that 85833 is in fact a Melonized gear or I am confusing terminology here?

Thanks a lot.

it is a steel gear ...

MSD Camshaft Gear Selection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7PVP4WrNwk

COMP Cams® Quick Tech: Selecting The Correct Distributor Gear
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL_p-J2YRts

Your website product description describes gear 85833 to be QPQ Melonite coated.

What is QPQ Melonite coated then?

Additionaly, you haven't confirmed whether the gear on distributor 8598 is indeed 85833 from the box.