Thread: Will Evinrude Magnetic Sensor work with MSD 6A or 6M?

Default Will Evinrude Magnetic Sensor work with MSD 6A or 6M?

I am having trouble with the original CDI ignition on our 1968 Evinrude 100hp V4 2-stroke engine.

I have a spare 6A ignition that I would like to try. Do you know if it will work with the Evinrude magnetic sensor?

I have seen a few threads on various forums about the conversion, and the only ones I have seen working are using points. My engine doesn't have a distributor or points, it has what I believe is a magnetic sensor to tell the ignition when to fire.

Do you know if this will work?

Or if you don't know will I damage anything by trying?

I plan to test the module first to make sure it works by using a jumper to short the magnetic sensor wires.

Any other tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Ian

msdtech1955 Guest

if it has a reluctor ( think paddle wheel)...then that magnetic trigger will work.

The magnetic triggering ring isn't shaped like a paddle wheel.

It looks like the wheel on the right on page 2 of this troubleshooting guide.

I'm planning on trying out with a borrowed unit, but want to make sure it works before I buy one myself.

Thanks for the reply!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just tried checking for spark with the engine cranking. When I first test it the spark plug that has the rotor pointing to it will fire. But as soon as I crank the spark doesn't move from cylinder to cylinder.

I assume the magnetic sensor isn't set up right for the MSD. Any ideas on how to get it to work? A smaller rotor?

I would prefer not to have to add a Pertronix ignitor or similar.

Thanks,
    Ian

msdtech1955 Guest

post a pic of the inside of the distributor.