Thread: Few questions for ARC newb

Default Few questions for ARC newb

I just have a few questions about the new ARC 7761 I just purchased.
    The yellow wire that is not pre-terminated in the bundle (with the blue/white wire that actually goes in the driveshaft connector for the racepak) does not actually have to be hooked to anything does it? I am thinking that the arc module using the software actually determines the retard needed based on the retard curves saved.

Second question is about the amount of retard in the curves. Why wouldn't you just use one retard line at the maximum amount available(I believe 20 degrees is the most you can select in the software). In other words just drag the first dot on the scale down to 20 and just have a straight line horizontally on the graph and let the ARC take out as much as needed? After I get a few runs to analyze then you could actually create a graph based on the timing removed during the run. If it doesn't need the 20 degrees to reduce the driveshaft rpm the it should only take out what is necessary. Am I out in left field on this line of thinking?

Also this is a NA 10.5 BBC car if that matters.

msdtech1955 Guest

1)

Provides ground to a circuit any time
    the unit is active by retarding or rev
    limiting.

2)
    it is best to use the "two lines" and bounce the timing off the two curves.
    like a 5 to 10 degree curve.

you really don't see anyone pulling 20 degrees out at all...think about it... if your running a total of 34 and you yank out 20...
    first , rotor phasing comes into play..plus...that motor would bog down and not accelerator clean at all...( think launching hard and hitting the dash board)

msdtech1955 Guest

I would make a few passes....look at the recordings of the ds ...then plot your graph from there ...try starting off with a 10 degree window ( between curves a and b )....and tweak it from there .