Thread: Boost map help!!!

procharged68mustang Guest

Default Boost map help!!!

I just got the 6al programmable box and msd distributor. Not sure the best way to make a map. My total timing is locked out at 33* my map im taking 1.5* of timing out per pound of boost. Starting at 3 pounds. Its breaking up at 5k and running 9-10 on my fast a/f meter. Am I taking to much timing out? That brings me to around 20* total timing at wot. I seen some maps where guys are starting at 5psi then only taking 1-.5* out per pound is that safe to do with 104 octane fuel? Im new to blow thru set up/ tuning and the msd programmable boxes.
    Thanks for any help.

I have a ford 302 roller engine with a ford motorsport fcam with 1.7 rockers, 650 holley with a carb shop blow thru conversion, eldlebrock performer rpm intake, areomotive fuel system a1000 pump, fuel cell,performance automatic c4 3800 stall, 4:10 gears. 104 octane fuel 93 and 110 mixed 50/50 spark plugs gapped at .024.

MSDTECH80 Guest

Where are you starting the boost curve at 3 or at 18 on the graph?

How the rotor phasing?

It should be leading edge of rotor tip to leading edge of the terminal at 34*

procharged68mustang Guest

I starting pulling boost out at 18.50. It is not rotor phased, how do you do the with the msd billet distributor 8598? My total timing is 33 degrees right now.

msdtech1955 Guest

with an adjustable rotor p/n 8421

I thought msd distributors were all phased?

You need an adjustable rotor when using electronic timing.

MSD is the first to make this option available.
    Regards, Gary