Thread: 7730 Grid Issue I had

SCDIV1 Guest

Default 7730 Grid Issue I had

I purchased a 7730 Grid Controller 6-11-12 and installed it in my racecar.
    I am using it with a 7AL3. I wanted to use the launch retard feature and the run record feature.
    The disc that was sent with the Grid did not have the 7730 listed on it so it was useless.
    I downloaded the MSDView software off the MSD's site once I realized the disc would not work. It all worked fine and I was pleased with it.

The car has not been run since last October....2012
    The laptop has been used but not for anything to do with the Grid and no changes were made that I can recall.

I decided to try and enter a start retard to the Grid a few days ago.
    The laptop would not connect to the Grid.
    I went to MSD's website and read some info that led me to check the driver for the Com Port.....and that was the problem as the driver was missing.
    I was able to get the driver reinstalled and at the same time decided to install the newest MSDView software.....I also tired to update my Grid online.....but could not.

I read that some boxes cannot be upgraded without being sent in......
    I checked my box and sure enough it is one that cannot be upgraded without being sent in....
    Not very convenient as racing starts here this week....

Now when I attempted to do any programming to my Grid I get repeated error messages and I cannot transfer anything.
    I tried everything I could think of and read a lot of info here on the forums looking for an answer.

I reasoned that the OLDER version of the MSD VIEW software worked fine.....the newer version does not.....and my box has not been updated...

I called MSD today.....Spoke to Peter......asked him if he could send me the older version of the software and he did. He did not think that was my problem.....

I uninstalled the newer version.....3.3.3 and installed the older version.....3,2,2........and have no problem now programming my Grid......Transferred info with no problems and added the start retard just like it was demo'ed on this forum.

So if anyone has similar problems.....this might help you......

Sending my box in now is inconvenient and I am happy I found a solution.....

When I have some time I will send my box in to get the update and than switch to the newer VIEW software....although I am not sure why I should....

I was told I could get it done at the MSD trailer at a race......and that may be a better option.

So Peter if you read this...the older version works...the newer version does not 3.3.3 no good...3.2.2 ok...with a Grid that has not been updated...... Mine is a Version 1.2.2 S/N 1831

msdtech21 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SCDIV1 View Post
    I called MSD today.....Spoke to Peter......asked him if he could send me the older version of the software and he did. He did not think that was my problem.....

So Peter if you read this...the older version works...the newer version does not 3.3.3 no good...3.2.2 ok...with a Grid that has not been updated...... Mine is a Version 1.2.2 S/N 1831
    I didn't think it was going to work initially because the problem description was that the unit wouldn't communicate. It wasnt till later that I was informed that it wouldnt program but would communicate. I sent the old software to get through the weekend. If the car wasnt running since Oct 2012, why not send the grid in then? I could have had the box back to you in less than a week. BTW whenever you're ready to send it in, I'll pick up the shipping both ways.

SCDIV1 Guest

I simply had no idea I needed to send the box in and really can't understand why you think I would know this? I raced my car last year....put it away for the winter.....

I told my story to one Tech and was put on hold...

I tried to explain what took place to you but it felt like you were just throwing it back at me as being my fault....

Bottom line.....MSD made changes......I had no idea they did...
    Somehow I lost communication with the box.....fixed it and downloaded the newer View software at that time....LAST WEEK... and had no programming ability....and had to reason on my own that the newer version of the sofware was the problem....

Thanks for the offer....I will have to check if I have time between races....

I am in New Jersey......Shipping is about 3-4 days each way.....plus ???? How long.....

And once it comes back I need to reprogram it from scratch using the newer sofware program....is how I am understanding it.......

I may have some time in the next couple weeks.....How do I get this done....

Call and ask for you ???

msdtech1955 Guest

p/m me a phone number.

msdtech21 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SCDIV1 View Post
    I am in New Jersey......Shipping is about 3-4 days each way.....plus ???? How long.....

And once it comes back I need to reprogram it from scratch using the newer sofware program....is how I am understanding it.......

I may have some time in the next couple weeks.....How do I get this done....
    If I pick up shipping both ways, it will ship ground. If you want to 2nd day it, I'll match and 2nd day it back. It will only take a day max to get it flashed and turned around.

Yes that's generally how it works.

Call me back.

SCDIV1 Guest

I will call you today and thankyou for the help

msdtech1955 Guest

called and left you a message.